Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad 11e (Windows), E and Edge series Laptops Knowledge Base

E540: Cannot power up the system

Question

I have bought laptop ThinkPad E540 a week ago. After two days, I pressed power on button but noting happened but only LED was shining.

I returned it to the store and they sent me a new one. But same problem occured. I press power on button, but laptop won't start. (Part number is 20C60045XS).

I tried turn it on only with charger connected and the same problem. I also tried trick with unplug battery and charger and then hold power on button, but i didn't help.

Answer

1) First remove the BIOS battery as well as uninstall the Lenovo Solution for small Business. See steps below for details.

• Power down machine to a complete shut.
  • Open the under compartment of the machine.
  • Remove the BIOS battery and place back again,
  • Power on the machine again. 
  • Laptop boots up normally (you will notice lost time and date prompt)
  • Once machine is powered up and windows is loaded proceed to "Control Panel" > "Programs and Feature" and uninstall the software ""Lenovo Solution for Small Business (LSSB)" 

2) Update your system BIOS

It was found that there is conflict within the software. Lenovo has created a new BIOS to address this conflict. Once you have followed the steps above proceed to download the latest BIOS update from the link below.

BIOS Update Utility V1.61

Once the BIOS is updated if you wish to reinstall the "Lenovo Solution for Small Business (LSSB)" software again, you may do so through the following download link.  

Lenovo Solutions for Small Business Powered by Intel Small Business Advantage for Windows 8 - ThinkPad

Note - As there may be multiple causal factors for these symptoms, additional actions may be required.

If these long boot symptoms following the BIOS update occur, multiple customers have reported success in resolving them  by disabling Intel AMT and setting the security chip, TPM, as active in the BIOS.

Steps to disable Intel AMT and enable TPM settings as below.

1. Boot into BIOS
  2. Select Config
  3. Select Intel AMT
  4. Press Enter key on Intel AMT Control and select Disable
  5. Press ESC twice
  6. Select Security
  7. Select Security chip and select Enable
  8. Press F10 and click Yes.

Was this information helpful?

Yes No

Comments

Octvian On 2014-04-22, 6:16 AM

Hello,

I have the same problem with this E540 Thinkpad bought two weeks ago.

Yesterday the battery was fully discharged, I was trying to charge it but I couldn't open the computer(only the red light was open). Being bought two weeks ago, I've install the latest BIOS update. I was trying yesterday to remove the baterry, I was waiting something around half an hour and after that I put back the baterry but same situation. Now the laptop doesn't start, it has only the red light open. I've let it now to discharged and after that I will try agaiin to charge it and to open it. Since I've install the latest BIOS update, do you think that there are other solutions?

Thank you very much for your support!

tommycioc On 2014-04-24, 1:13 AM

Hi,

I do have that problem and tried the work around solution you proposed and nothing is working. I cant open my laptop again. Any solution?

Octvian On 2014-04-24, 7:01 AM

After five days, this morning I've shutted down my E540, pressing around 10 seconds the power button.Unfortunatelly, when I was trying to start my laptop plugging in without baterry, didn't start. If the red light is open and the laptop doesn't start, maybe should be let it like that(few days unfortunatelly) and after that try to start it again or wait to fully discharged and after that try again. It is very frustrating that everything seems to be something related to "luck" and not a reliable solution. Of course, just silence from Lenovo site. Anyway, this week I'm planning to ask my money back because it was a huge mistake to buy this laptop.

MaxXL On 2014-10-06, 5:28 AM
Hi, I've had same issue with not starting E540 :( But I've managed start it: 1. Unplug charger from notebook. 2. Plug charger to power source. 3. Plug the charger to notebook. In my case - red dot in logo near to the keyboard started to blink. 4. Push the power button - in my case notebok has started. This way worked for me twice, so I believe it can be workaround for the problem. Max
fawadkhan On 2014-10-23, 12:00 PM

does the fan run for 2seconds n then shutsdown (altogether the red light). my laptop e531 tries 7 8 times in a lopp fashion n is unable to show the first screen of loading. then self shutsdown totally. after 2 3 times pressing the power button n waiting on luck for laptop to showup first screen .. the laptop proceeds from bios n windows. else does nothing at all except failing to start

Cayo On 2014-11-12, 22:13 PM

Hi, I have the same problem with some diference. As soon I insert the battery or connect the AC Adapter to the laptop E540 It starts booting and goes off. I can hear the HDD turning off. Then starts again the loop and dont have the time to select Diagnostic or Bios setup. I disconnected the bios battery and continuas the same. This laptop is 1 month in use.

salle071 On 2014-12-28, 2:21 AM

If these long boot symptoms, following the BIOS update occur, multiple customers have reported success in resolving them  by disabling Intel AMT and setting the security chip, TPM, as active in the BIOS.

Steps to disable Intel AMT and enable TPM settings as below.

1. Boot into BIOS
  2. Select Config
  3. Select Intel AMT
  4. Press Enter key on Intel AMT Control and select Disable
  5. Press ESC twice
  6. Select Security
  7. Select Security chip and select Enable
  8. Press F10 and click Yes.
Mark_Lenovo On 2015-03-13, 21:11 PM

Thanks salle,  I've added your notes to the recommendations in the article!

Great step by step guidance.

Mark

makrodesigner On 2015-04-23, 18:54 PM

Hi There!

I have tried to downgrade windows 8 to windows 7. I turned legacy mode on and after restarting my notebook couldn't start the system. (to be honest, made also some boot settings deactivated bud dunno which one.)

After changing those, and restart it appeared black screen with (about half second) lenovo "start screen" - and notebook restarts by itself and so on. I tried to access my BIOS but without success.

I have already tried removing RAM, HDD and Battery. Graphic card was on and the WLAN adapter also.

I think I wrote you everything I've done... Have no Idea what to do next ! :(

Thank you in advance!

Regards,

makro

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Delete