I purchased my Thinkpad Edge in August 2010. Since then, the battery capacity has decreased such that it only holds 10 minutes of charge when unplugged.
I searched the forums and found that the battery firmware could be the problem. But that was not the case. It said that my firmware was up-to-date when I followed the process.
I purchased a new battery that is compatible with my model, but it didn't charge. So I tried again and bought another thinking that the battery was faulty. Still, this battery won't charge.
So here's the break down:
- old battery charges but battery capacity is low
- new batteries do not charge but battery capacity is high
Any suggestions as to what my problem is?
Go to Solution.
The problem has been resolved.
1. Use your original laptop battery for the next steps. If you no longer have it, or it's completely broken, use your new battery. Make sure it's plugged in.
2. Make sure your battery firmware is up-to-date (in my case, it was)
3. Reset your battery gauge - click on battery gauge so Power Manager opens > Battery Maintanence > Perform Reset
4. Once reset is completed, shut down the laptop and change the battery to the new one.
5. Start up your laptop. Your new battery should be charging.
I hope this helps!