Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Welcome to the Lenovo Community

Welcome to the Forums!

Welcome to Lenovo's Peer-to-Peer Discussion Community!
Please note our guidelines. How to register and login and Community FAQs.
Shape the Future of PCs

Help Lenovo Shape the Future of PCs

Take the ownership survey. Share your ideas with our product team
Paper Tape
0 Kudos

E320 keyboard problems - beeping, keys not repeating

[ Edited ]

I'm seeing these symptoms on my new Lenovo E320:

1. Sometimes when I hit Ctrl-W (to close a tab in Google Chrome), the command is triggered multiple times (so 2 or more tabs are closed).

2. Sometimes when I have a text field selected and I hold down W (or some other keys), the letter only appears once, instead of appearing over and over again. This problem is intermittant, the problem went away after a few seconds without me changing any settings or doing anything except pressing letter keys on the keyboard.

3. Once, when I entered the BIOS setting by holding down F1 as the computer started up, the computer beeped constantly while I was in the BIOS screens. Next time I went to the BIOS settings, this problem did not occur. This makes me suspect that I have a hardware problem (because Windows was not running, the problem cannot be a Windows driver problem)

4. If I type too quickly, they keyboard sometimes beeps as if I was holding down several keys at the same time. (For example, holding down D,F,G causes a beep. This is normal. But typing D, then F, then G rapidly also causes a beep.)

5. I had problems with the touchpad sometimes not responding to touches. However after setting PalmCheck to minimum in Mouse -> UltraNav -> Touchpad Settings... -> Smartcheck -> PalmCheck, I have not come across this problem again. I also changed some other settings so I'm not 100% what fixed this, or if it is permanently fixed.

The laptop is new but I have changed some settings and have uninstalled some of the applications that came pre-installed.

Are there any known solutions or workarounds for these issues? The first issue is the most important one; I only included the others in case they are related.

Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,266
Solutions: 1,345
0 Kudos

Re: E320 keyboard problems - beeping, keys not repeating

I just got an E320, i think the problem you are experiencing is to do with a faulty keyboard or keyboard control mechanism on the motherboard.

It is best that you call up warranty service department, and let them send out a new keyboard for you to replace, to see whether the problem repeats itself.

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft