Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Forum Maintenance


The site will be Read-Only during our 4-hour maintenance window on Wednesday, August 24 beginning at 7:00 am EDT (GMT-05:00).

Reply
Punch Card
Posts: 19
Registered: ‎01-21-2012
Location: Jakarta
Message 1 of 6 (481 Views)

I get electrocuted when I plug a monitor and touch the fingerprint reader

Dear all,

 

I always get slightly electrocuted when I plug a monitor to my E420 and touch the fingerprint reader (I was barefooted). I tried all monitors in my home and they all are the same. Will plugging a monitor damage my ThinkPad?

 

Thanks in advance.

 

Regards,

 

Haris

Token Ring
Posts: 56
Registered: ‎10-02-2010
Location: USA
Message 2 of 6 (480 Views)

Re: I get electrocuted when I plug a monitor and touch the fingerprint reader

Make sure your monitor is connected to a grounded outlet.

I don't think it's harmful to the computer, I had this problem in our old house for years and the laptop still works today. Smiley Happy
Highlighted
Punch Card
Posts: 19
Registered: ‎01-21-2012
Location: Jakarta
Message 3 of 6 (476 Views)

Re: I get electrocuted when I plug a monitor and touch the fingerprint reader

My house only have 2-prong outlets. 3-prong outlets are rarely used in my country. What should I do?

Posts: 3,620
Topics: 29
Solutions: 291
Registered: ‎01-21-2010
Location: Etters, PA
Message 4 of 6 (457 Views)

Re: I get electrocuted when I plug a monitor and touch the fingerprint reader

Does your ac adapter have 2 or 3 prongs?

 

If it has 3 prongs, are you using a 3 prong to 2 prong adapter to plug it in? 

 

Dave



English Community   Deutsche Community   Comunidad en Español   Русскоязычное Сообщество

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please click the "Accept As Solution" button.

Punch Card
Posts: 36
Registered: ‎02-15-2012
Location: Raleigh, NC
Message 5 of 6 (447 Views)

Re: I get electrocuted when I plug a monitor and touch the fingerprint reader

 All it really means is that when the electricity is trying to find ground, that you offer the easiest path (with the least resistance).  If you were wearing shoes you would not get a shock.  I also suspect your floor is concreat, or possible hard wood. Whats your floor made of?

Punch Card
Posts: 19
Registered: ‎01-21-2012
Location: Jakarta
Message 6 of 6 (326 Views)

Re: I get electrocuted when I plug a monitor and touch the fingerprint reader

I can finally overcome this problem by using a wire and a nail as grounding. Thanks everyone!

top kudoed authors