Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Welcome to the Forums!

Welcome to Lenovo's Peer-to-Peer Discussion Community!
Please note our guidelines. How to register and login and Community FAQs.

Help Lenovo Shape the Future of PCs

Take the ownership survey. Share your ideas with our product team

Community Spotlight

Visit the Community Blog

Are you ready for Windows 10?

Get to know Windows 10
Visit the Windows 10 Support Center
Highlighted
Blue Screen Again
0 Kudos

Problem with Win7 Aero and ATI 5145

Hello,

I purchased my Edge 15 (0301-4AG, video - ATI 5145) just a week ago. But it was without operating system.

Now I installed Windows 7 (trial) and got some problems.

By default, this Windows uses Aero interface, and I regularly get BSODs when playing, and, as well, I get screen 'freezes' in 2d mode. For instance when i open some windows in IE and Firefox, or just standard explorer windows, and try to switch between them with Alt-Tab, screen freezes randomly in 5-10 key presses (no changes on the screen, mouse pointer is still moving, but keyboard is not working, only Ctrl-Alt-Del is giving some result). Or, I can just move mouse pointer over the application tag in the task panel to see the mini-images of tabs, and when I then move the pointer over these images, the screen also freezes.

The only way to get out of it is to press Ctrl-Alt-Del, then i get the page with choices. If I choose Task manager, I get the black screen with nothing, and can get back with Ctrl-Alt-Del only.

To get rid of this, I can only reset the notebook or leave the current session and re-enter again. In this case I get normal operation until the next 'freeze'

Journal shows some types of regular errors: atikmdag.sys error 43029 "Display is not active"; "Kernel Power Error"

I tried latest bioses, different versions of ATI drivers (from MS - signed, from Lenovo, from Amd.com), but nothing helps. But if I switch off Aero in Win7, everything works ok.

Could it be the problem in discrete ATI adapter? Shall I go to service center, or, maybe there is some other way to fix it?

Many thanks in advance!