Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: 11e (Windows), 13, E and Edge series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

06-27-2016

United States of America

4 Signins

78 Page Views

• Views: 78
  • Message 1 of 2

Thinkpad EDGE E440 - Optical drive not opening, reading, or rotating discs in the disc tray.

2016-06-27, 2:39 AM

My Lenovo thinkpad edge e440's optical drive is not functioning. When the disc tray release button is pressed the tray won't open and there is a blinking green light on the exterior optical drive housing and a sound like the motor inside is trying to push open the tray but can't. If I use a paperclip to press the manual release button and load a disc the opical drive doesn't rotate the disc once closed. The laptop makes some noise as if the optical drive is trying to rotate the disc but after a while goes silent as if there wasn't a disc in there in the first place. 

Options

4349 Posts

12-11-2015

United States of America

4570 Signins

52192 Page Views

• Views: 52192
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: Thinkpad EDGE E440 - Optical drive not opening, reading, or rotating discs in the disc tray.

2016-06-27, 4:28 AM

It is possible that the drive has failed, but unless it gets used a lot, that is rare.    You might try blowing some canned air into the drive after using the paper clip trick, and see if you can visually see anything in the drive (Legos, cookies or who knows what if you have kids) or any other obsructoin.    I have personally removed the foam spacers shipped with CD/DVD twice myself.   : )    

If not, then the drive may have gone bad and you may have to replace the drive.   If the system is still under warrantly that should be covered, or if not it is pretty easy to remove as shown on page 68 of the Hardware Maintenance Manual or in the User Guide

See page 25 of the Hardware Maintenance Manual  for steps on how to lookup part numbers (FRU numbers in lenovo lingo) from the support website.

Good luck.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms