Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Welcome to the Lenovo Community

Welcome to the Forums!

Welcome to Lenovo's Peer-to-Peer Discussion Community!
Please note our guidelines. How to register and login and Community FAQs.
Shape the Future of PCs

Help Lenovo Shape the Future of PCs

Take the ownership survey. Share your ideas with our product team
Community Spotlight

Visit the Lenovo Blogs!

Check out the ThinkPad Time Machine
Visit the Community Spotlight Blog
Windows  10

Are you ready for Windows 10?

Get to know Windows 10
Visit the Windows 10 Support Center
Highlighted
Paper Tape
0 Kudos

Re: Thinkpad Edge 14 CPU Problem

[ Edited ]

I am having this same issue since purchasing my Edge 14. Lenovo really has no idea.

I've read some posts that it may be a power supply issue.  These posts say maybe the power adapter is malfunctioning or maybe you need a 90W adapter even though the system comes with a 65W adapter.

Guru
0 Kudos

Get Process Explorer from here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx
Launch it, let your system idle, and look for anything taking up random CPU cycles. Pretty much everything should be less than 1% except for maybe Process Explorer itself.
W520: i7-2720QM, Q2000M at 1080/688/1376, 21GB RAM, 500GB + 750GB HDD, FHD screen & MB168B+
X61T: L7500, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
Y3P: 5Y70, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, QHD+ screen
Ctrl-Alt-Del
0 Kudos

Sorry about the amount of time it's taken me to look back at this.  I honestly haven't really used my laptop all summer since I was not in classes or anything anymore.

I know what processes are using up that extra CPU.  I don't remember off the top of my head but I know that it is nothing that I have installed because I'm having this issue even when I start from a fresh Windows 7 image.  I still have yet to try this in Linux to see if it is just the OS or some hardware issue.  I will still download Process Explorer and see what I can find from that and hopefully that can shed some light on my problem.

anontemp123: I never thought about trying that before.  I will have to find a different power supply and see if I can replicate the problem with a different power supply.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
0 Kudos

I actually got to use a 90 W power supply today instead of the 65W that I was using and I seem to be having no issues anymore.  I'm going to assume that that was it.  Now hopefully I can find a 90W that isn't too expensive or talk with Lenovo about recieveing one.

Thanks for the help!

What's DOS?
0 Kudos

I also have the same issue with my Edge 14 I purchased in september 2010.   when the windows logo appears it starts to freak out looks like scrambled tv signal.  I have not tried to have this looked at becuase I have not been very happy with this computer and want to get a different brand. 

you are not crazy and Lenovo needs to look further into this issue for you.