cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Views: 48,107

Question

I have ThinkPad Edge E420s and it is equipped with an SSD instead of a normal hard disk and  I noticed a process running called tpshocks.exe .

I think this has to do with the "airbag" like protection - ThinkPad Active Protection that would normally park the heads of a hard disk if it detected sudden movement of the system, as if it were bumped or dropped.   I understand that this would help reduce the chances of losing data from the heads touching down in a data area of the drive.

But, as I have an SSD with no moving parts, can I just uninstall this?  How?

Answer

Yes, tpshocks.exe is a core process of the ThinkPad active protection program and no, you don't want or need it with an SSD.  The program can be uninstalled:

[Windows 7]

1. Start Windows and logon with administrative account.
  2. Click Start, click Control Panel.
  3. Make sure View by Category is selected, click Uninstall a program.
  4. Select ThinkVantage Active Protection System, and click Uninstall or Uninstall/Change.
  5. Follow the instructions on the screen to complete uninstallation and restart the computer.

[Windows Vista]

3. Make sure Control Panel Home is selected, click Uninstall a program.
  4. Select ThinkVantage Active Protection System, and click Uninstall or Uninstall/Change.
  5. Follow the instructions on the screen to complete uninstallation and restart the computer.

[Windows XP]

3. Select Add/Remove Programs.
  4. Select ThinkVantage Active Protection System and click Remove or Change/Remove.

For additional details, or to obtain the Active Protection Software, visit the Lenovo support site page here

Was this information helpful?

Comments
gusat

As a matter of fact, this (quite heavy) program -- was written a while ago by some of my colleagues-- was intended for those who tend to bang and drop their laptops :-). Even if you still use HDDs, e.g. for your data partitions, Tpshocks is not at all required - iff one is normally minding her g's (sudden accelerations). Just handle with normal care a spinning HDD and you can thus avoid wasting power and CPU cycles... this is a heavy-duty piece of s/w. I always uninstall it from my machines, those which i use/manage myself.