Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad Chromebooks: 11e, X and Yoga
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

09-24-2021

United States of America

8 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 1 of 7

Enabling Linux Apps on ThinkPad C13 Yoga Chromebook

2021-09-24, 14:28 PM

I'm aware of the risks of doing this and I accept that.  The reason for doing this is accessing productivity software that I use every day that is not available to Chromebook natively (yet) but can be installed with a few additional steps by enabling Linux Apps.  I've done this on another non-Lenovo Chromebook, but I can't seem to find what steps work for the ThinkPad C13 Yoga Chromebook.

I have enabled developer mode so that prerequisite is satisfied.  However, I immediately notice that the Linux (Beta) option in settings is absent which is a blocker to complete the rest of the steps.  See the first screenshot in the following link.

https://chromeunboxed.com/the-command-line-getting-started-with-linux-apps-on-your-chromebook/

Official documentation from Google indicates that getting into developer mode for some builds is no longer necessary, but it doesn't seem to matter on the Yoga.  https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromiumos/docs/+/master/containers_and_vms.md

So my question mainly is how do I enable Linux Apps on the ThinkPad C13 Yoga Chromebook?

Answer
Options

5 Posts

09-24-2021

United States of America

8 Signins

25 Page Views

Re:Enabling Linux Apps on ThinkPad C13 Yoga Chromebook

2021-11-06, 0:25 AM

I just found out that this device does indeed have Linux App support. The problem appears to be caused by Google Family Link. When that software is installed and the account is controlled it behaves as though it is enrolled and thus seems to filter out the Linux Apps offering from settings. I added my own account on the device and confirmed that I was able to see the Developer Tab showing under the advanced section.

Replies(6)
Options

6599 Posts

08-02-2018

Philippines

999 Signins

33354 Page Views

• Views: 33354
  • Message 2 of 7

2021-09-25, 11:47 AM

Hello Sn3akyP3t3!

Welcome to community forums

Can you provide the machine type model(MTM) of the laptop so we could check the product details?

Try the steps provided here: https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/faqs/operating-systems/install-linux-chromebook/

Jwes_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Options

5 Posts

09-24-2021

United States of America

8 Signins

25 Page Views

• Message 3 of 7

2021-09-25, 17:59 PM

I don't know about MTM, but the type model on the device printed on a label under is 20UX-001TUS.  I'm making an assumption that they're zeros and not upper case o, but the font chosen for the label doesn't give me a good feeling that is correct since the date printed at the bottom of the label has zeros that look the same as the model's upper case o.

As for the suggested link for Linux steps.  Those are pretty much the equivalent of what I've tried, just linked by Lenovo.  Searching for anything with keyword Linux in the settings finds nothing and its not found where commonly suggested it should be.

Options

5 Posts

09-24-2021

United States of America

8 Signins

25 Page Views

• Message 4 of 7

2021-10-22, 14:20 PM

I do still need help with this.  Please don't lock due to lack of activity.

If I absolutely need the machine type model(MTM) please tell me where I can find that.

Options

5 Posts

09-24-2021

United States of America

8 Signins

25 Page Views

• Message 5 of 7

2021-11-05, 0:48 AM

I want to take a little time to voice a bit of frustration with this particular issue.  Due to lack of response of this thread I went ahead and contacted Lenovo support via email which bounced me to phone which I called and found there is zero official Chromebook software support to ask for help according to the rep that spoke to me.  She said that the only options are to either contact Google for support or do a hardware replacement or repair under warranty and that only Windows OS devices get support from Lenovo.  If that is true then I'm a bit enraged by this news because Lenovo built the hardware and provides the build of the flavor of Chrome OS running on this device and its ludicrous to make that sort of statement!  Any company that makes hardware and does some degree of customization to the firmware or OS to run on that hardware needs to provide some degree of support for those customizations.  Its likely that in the case of this Yoga C13 that Lenovo has a flag or setting that is disabling Linux Apps from showing up as an option.

First and foremost, I guess I need to know if this model supports Linux Apps.  Then of course my secondary question is how do I enable that?

Answer
Options

5 Posts

09-24-2021

United States of America

8 Signins

25 Page Views

• Message 6 of 7

2021-11-06, 0:25 AM

I just found out that this device does indeed have Linux App support. The problem appears to be caused by Google Family Link. When that software is installed and the account is controlled it behaves as though it is enrolled and thus seems to filter out the Linux Apps offering from settings. I added my own account on the device and confirmed that I was able to see the Developer Tab showing under the advanced section.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

6599 Posts

08-02-2018

Philippines

999 Signins

33354 Page Views

• Views: 33354
  • Message 7 of 7

2021-11-08, 16:38 PM

Sorry for the delayed response but its a good thing you were able to resolve it.

I am sure other people who are experiencing the same will find this helpful.

Thank you for sharing it.

Regards

Jwes_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms