Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bauden
Token Ring
Views: 3,273
Message 1 of 8

Yoga 11e Chromebook

A photo colleague dumped his Chromebook on my lap (gratis) with some !@#$ comments ... I will not comment as to why, and I thought this could replace my clunky W540 for pre made portfolio/slide or video presentations.

OK, here is the deal.  The Cloud storage is nice, but I'm off on the road with no WiFi, at a client's house.

Last time I tested the Chrome Cloud, the presentation 'stuttered' and the flow was disconcerting, and was a discredit to my abilities.

I have mutliple prsentations, and 16gb is not enough, particularly when visiting distinct client with different or multiple  portfolio requirements.

Is there any way to change the 16gb standard card to a 64gb (There are now 200gb micro SD cards!):

Sandisk 200GB SD - The future.

I hate to fiddle with the built in SD port, not counting the potential loss of these tiny cards.  I would like it to be an  internal or at least sealed and protected from accidental 'pop-outs'.

As the eMMC is actually built on the SD card protocol, can I open and replace the meager 16gb with a more modern larger storage for of WiFi use.

Any hack or hints before I pass this unit off, would be appreciated.  Incredible 'oyster' closure system.  Even the Chrome Pixel has a lid finger catch groove.

Bauden
Token Ring
Views: 3,263
Message 2 of 8

Re: Yoga 11e Chromebook

I do have and use the "SanDisk Connect Wireless Media Drive":  Did not try it in Chromebook yet, as the Google Store does not seem to have the Chrome extension.  It does play well on my Adroids (Cell and Tablet).

Sandisk Wireless Media drive.

That may be a way to go if I can get it to work as just a raw drive using some workaround software controls.  I guess another workaround and something else to carry & lose.

Bauden
Token Ring
Views: 3,248
Message 3 of 8

Someone has it right.... Guess???  Betcha these will not have broken hinges or screens.

Chromebook Pixel Open Me.jpg

Bauden
Token Ring
Views: 3,176
Message 4 of 8

IQ test:

Which is the real 'working' computer?

Black Oyster vs Working Computer.jpg

Can 'black box' be opened on a table? or will it twist and fall??   Ah!  yes, for a lady with prying fingernails...

unisol
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,912
Message 5 of 8

Kind'a bad idea - 200GB card it's
a) SDXC - SDHC cards are up to 32GB and you should check for SDXC support
b) those cards are tiny and the higher the density - the more fragile they get and the higher chances that your data will be lost.
c) you still can loose it if it falls out of the slot.
Don't like "fiddling"? you can get WiFi router with build-in NAS support - that is a slot for HDD, put 240Gigs SSD into it or whatever you need - you will need power source, though. If there's USB port on your chromebook and you're not against of carrying a "larger" unit - you can literally stick to its bottom USB HDD enclosure&USB hub - use USB flash drives in the hub...
There are also tiny USB microsdhc readers that stick out only by 3mm out of your usb port and you can use fast microsdhc cards in them (that is convert them to fast usb flash drive and avoid changing sdhc's in it).
Bauden
Token Ring
Views: 2,898
Message 6 of 8

Thank you for the workaround.  Another peripheral to carry around.

Do note the concept.  I would like to "carry" my portfolio of pictures on an SD card which is loaded from my main studio computer, and the possibility to change portfolio (cards) on the road, depending on the client.

The data is not critical if card is lost, as it would only be a repository of files already on the desktop and can easily be reproduced on a new card.

The bottom line, is that I now have a Chromebook  which is nothing but a terminal, with no storage and limited capability.  Now I carry a SanDisk Connect Wireless Media Drive, which works so so, as there is no specific app for the Media connection, It does work as WiFi with fiddling.

>>  .. you still can loose it if it falls out of the slot.  <<

Indeed, which is why there should have been an internal slot to add a permanent expansion.  The Pixel, by the developers of the Chrome OS, saw fit to have 32 or 64GB storage. Lenovo?  16GB  eMMC.  Uhh..... memory is cheap.

Bauden
Token Ring
Views: 1,273
Message 7 of 8

Just revived my Chromebook 11e from storage as my basement doorstop.  Maybe I could run Linux or a variants from the USB port or SD card slot.

Any experience out there?  Heard that the BIOS need patching if want to run Tails.

lv7angel
What's DOS?
Views: 518
Message 8 of 8

I had this computer but with 2 disks. One is 120Gb SSD and the 5400 hard drive. I was complaining about this design for a long time because this SSD was always full and I have too clean my software and recourse all the time. Them most headache thing is that there are updates all the time for many software, I really feel enough for it. Especially, you need to open the whole machine to change the SSD.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Posts
Top Kudoed Authors