Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: 11e (Windows), 13, E and Edge series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

09-18-2014

Czech Republic

26 Signins

74 Page Views

• Views: 74
  • Message 1 of 3

E540 Swapping Ctrl & Fn breaks some Windows shortcuts

2014-09-18, 16:39 PM

Hello. Issue is that after using swap in BIOS, some Windows combinations behave differently. First of all, I will refer to Ctrl key as actual Fn key on the keyboard and other way around.

With little help of Windows On-Screen Keyboard I had found out that eg. pressing Ctrl+P shows only Ctrl pressed while ignoring P press completely. Pressing P on it's own does work normally. Same situation is for any combination with P key except Shift alone.

More worrying is Ctrl+S which On-Screen Keyboard shows as pressing only Ctrl+Alt. For me as a developer not having this shortcut available is nightmare, because I cannot save my source code.

To make this short, basically all combinations with S, K, P, B are broken. After disabling swap, everything works as expected, but I need my Ctrl key in the corner :(

I can recall that I have flashed BIOS using Flash Utility some days ago. Looking in there, it showed version 2.12. I have noticed on the website that 2.13 is available, so I have updated to this one, but issue is still there. I am pretty much sure that when I bought laptop 2 months ago, it worked correctly.

Where could I possibly find full changelog of BIOS and is it even possible to downgrade BIOS?

Thanks for the help, it is really annoying.

Options

5 Posts

09-18-2014

Czech Republic

26 Signins

74 Page Views

• Views: 74
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: E540 Swapping Ctrl & Fn breaks some Windows shortcuts

2014-09-19, 5:04 AM

According to changelog there was this change...

> <2.09>
> - (New) Added hotkey support for Fn+P(Pause)/Fn+K(ScrLK)/Fn+B(Left-Ctrl + Break)/Fn+S(Left-Alt + SysRq).

Seems that nobody is using Fn&Ctrl swap or it is somehow broken just for me? Unfortunately according to changelog there is no way back ... 

> 2.13 BIOS updates UMRS00347 for UEFI Vulnerability , it's mainly to improve BIOS security vulnerability,
> so winflash will reject user to downgrade to lower than 2.13(such as 2.12) version which doesn't have this feature.

Is winflash that Windows utility? Is there some way how to downgrade eg. from CD or USB?

Options

65 Posts

08-15-2013

Bulgaria

76 Signins

857 Page Views

• Views: 857
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: E540 Swapping Ctrl & Fn breaks some Windows shortcuts

2014-09-22, 9:07 AM

I want to update the bios so much, especially because of the cleaned-up noise when using 3D...
But i can't because of the darn shortcuts (FN+S is especially  troublesome for me).
Come on guys, please add an option to disable those shortcuts or atleast make them swap when we swap ctrl+fn.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms