Options

14 Posts

03-04-2008

Australia

23 Signins

220 Page Views

• Views: 220
  • Message 1 of 5

Brand new R61- what is the best backup strategy?

2008-03-11, 6:29 AM
Hi,

I'm a home-user with a brand-new R61. I love it, it works well and does everything I want. Thank you Lenovo!

I'm planning to keep this R61 going for a very long time (5+ years).

My last Thinkpad (T22 lasted 5+ years!) died due to hard disk failure, so this time round I want to protect against such a catastrophe.

So I'm thinking the best backup strategy is to keep a 'swappable' external disk- when my internal HD dies, I just want to swap over the disks. I'll buy a 2.5" drive, stick it in an USB/firewire enclosure, and hopefully I can make incremental backups to it every month.

What do people think about this strategy?

How would I go about setting it up? Will the existing ThinkVantage tools help? Can I do it with the ThinkVantage R&R, or would I have to figure out how to use the ImageUltraBuilder?

In particular, what parts of the HD exactly does the R&R software backup?

Cheers,
jsdn

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
R61 8918-A22: VB32
Options

3290 Posts

02-17-2008

Australia

1962 Signins

50408 Page Views

• Views: 50408
  • Message 2 of 5

Re: Brand new R61- what is the best backup strategy?

2008-03-11, 13:04 PM
yeap the external backup system is supported by Rescue and Recovery system, it will allow you to either backup to discs or harddrive..... also remember to burn  yourself a set of recovery disks from Rescue and Recovery.... so if your harddrive fails then you could just stick another one in and setup the OS like when you first got the laptop.....
Options

302 Posts

12-12-2007

Germany, near Hamburg

310 Signins

8837 Page Views

• Views: 8837
  • Message 3 of 5

2008-03-11, 13:36 PM
For how to use ThinkVantage Rescue & Recovery see also the Lenovo training flash demonstrations here (under ThinkVantage Technologies), which should give you the idea and show what is possible.

The backup strategy is Ok so far, however the way you described it, you would need to make the backup HDD bootable with a preinstalled OS, otherwise you can't swap the drives directly on the go. - The other common way is, to use the external backup disk just for storing the backup images (with no preinstalled OS) and when in accident to perform an image restore from the external drive with the help of recovery boot CDs etc. The later is mostly the way you would do it with TrueImage or Ghost imaging software etc.

BTW, beside making image backups on an external drive, it's also a good idea to follow the advice of the previous poster and thus to do additionally generate some factory system recovery media CDs/DVDs!

ThinkPad T60/X32/600/770 · IBM IntelliStation · 3x IBM SpaceSaver II

Options

14 Posts

03-04-2008

Australia

23 Signins

220 Page Views

• Views: 220
  • Message 4 of 5

2008-03-11, 23:17 PM
Thanks guys. :smileyhappy:

I've burnt the Recovery CDs which I believe will give me the basic factory install image if the HD dies.

I will use the ThinkVantage Backup program to keep 5 incremental backups. It looks like it also backs up all the Windows Updates I've downloaded which is what I was hoping. I'll copy these backups to another PC.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
R61 8918-A22: VB32
Options

3290 Posts

02-17-2008

Australia

1962 Signins

50408 Page Views

• Views: 50408
  • Message 5 of 5

2008-03-13, 2:31 AM
this is a smart move, because when i got my first R61i, it died on me 3 minutes after switching it on, i tried to recover it from Rescue and Recovery but my service partition was bad. So basically it stopped half way into the recovery process. I did not even get a chance to make the recovery disks, which basically meant i had to send it in for repair, which took one and half week. When i got it back, the same thing happened again, i called up Lenovo and said what happened??? they sent me a set of recovery disks. I had to get a T61p with XP, because Vista was so dodgy when i got it....... but one thing good about Vista is data security and better virus control.....

Recently my AC adapter died on me, so i have to call up Lenovo and get an another sent to me, which was a quick and painless process.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms