03-03-2008

Senegal, Africa

29 Signins

867 Page Views

• Views: 867
  • Message 1 of 2

Cracked LCD Screen on our Brand New Lenovo R61i

2008-03-05, 11:04 AM
Hi!  I'm new to this forum, so I hope I'm posting this in the right place.  I have written a letter detailing our problem with our brand new Lenovo, but I don't even know who to send it to.  Could someone please help?  We would greatly appreciate it.

To Whom it May Concern:

I am writing regarding a problem with our brand new Lenovo ThinkPad R61i purchased on November 24, 2007.  To my dismay, after careful use and minimal use outside of our home, I discovered a crack across the LCD screen.  When I contacted your customer service, I was told that there was nothing that could be done for me and that I would have to purchase a new screen.  Were this to have taken place after years of use (and abuse), I could understand this policy, but I can assure you that we have done nothing to provoke this sort of damage, damage which is clearly due to a manufacturing defect.  My wife and I live alone (i.e. no children have been using the computer), and it has remained inside our home (on our desk or on our lap) 99% of the time, and has been outside our home less than 5 times, for very brief intervals.

From the start I want to make it clear that when I choose a product I choose it with great care and research. I was so excited to purchase this new laptop. I was confident that I was choosing the best computer. I still want to believe this.

When I chose Lenovo, I chose you for your history of quality products, customer service, and integrity as a company. I chose to get the R61i because it fit my limited price bracket and because it had the Top Cover Roll Cage, because of the added protection it would provide - which appealed to me because I take meticulous care of my things.  As stated on the Lenovo website: "the ThinkPad Roll Cage ... provide(s) a new level of strength and durability."

During my research, I even saw the following video on YouTube that instilled further confidence in your product: http://youtube.com/watch?v=wwCO740QB4U, taken at a press conference in Taipei.  While I did not expect your warranty to therefore cover abuse as ridiculous as rolling over a laptop with a motorbike, the video certainly did convince me that I was choosing the strongest, most durable computer money could buy (within my price range, of course).

When selecting the warranty coverage, I tried to make the best decision possible. I chose the base warranty coverage, knowing that I would take meticulous care of my new laptop, and further trusting the integrity of Lenovo to take care of its customers (even though it did not explicitly state what it covered).  While I never expected replacement parts after normal wear and tear, I certainly never imagined that a clear manufacturing defect would  be my responsibility to replace, either.  I was therefore shocked to discover from one of your customer service personnel that my cracked LCD would not be covered under my warranty. 

Although I purchased the R61i in the US, I live and work in Senegal, West Africa, where I teach for a Non-Profit Organization. I need my R61 to go with me every time I teach, as well as while I prepare to teach.  I do not have the means to purchase a new screen, as the Lenovo was already a great expense and a purchase made possible by the generosity of others.  I would like to see your company stand by its product and provide me with the kind of service, care, and respect that has made Lenovo so successful.

Thank you in advance for your favorable response to my situation.

Sincerely,

Daniel Thornton
TYPE 7732 - CTO
S/N L3 - H2460

Options

8095 Posts

11-19-2007

United States of America

10101 Signins

400183 Page Views

• Views: 400183
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: Cracked LCD Screen on our Brand New Lenovo R61i

2008-03-05, 22:36 PM
Welcome to the forum! :smileyhappy:

Let me look into the matter for you.   Could you send me a private message with the best way for service to contact you at your present location?

Thanks.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms