Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: L, R and SL series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

04-19-2021

United States of America

3 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 1 of 7

External Portable Monitor doesn't connect to Lenovo L480 laptop

2021-04-19, 12:52 PM

Hello,

I have a portable external monitor that I'm trying to connect to my Lenovo laptop via USB-c - it seems to connect but then flickers and fails and keeps doing this over and over until I disconnect it. 

This laptop successfully connects to my regular external monitors without issue - but for some reason, it's not liking this portable external monitor.

Any help on this would be appreciated! 

Thanks,

Stephanie

Options

3510 Posts

12-13-2016

United States of America

5530 Signins

62291 Page Views

• Views: 62291
  • Message 2 of 7

Re:External Portable Monitor doesn't connect to Lenovo L480 laptop

2021-04-19, 13:21 PM

Stephanie..

Welcome to the Community. Might need a little more information. Can you post the MTM number of your L480? It's a ten-character number usually on a sticker on the bottom. Might look like this: 20L5CTO1US. Don't post the serial number, just the Machine Type Model. 

It'll also help to have the make and model of both displays.. one of the working ones and the one that's glitching. If the glitchy one is looking for a Thunderbolt connection, that could be why. Can't tell without knowing more about the monitor.

I'm assuming all of the working ones are also connected via USB-C, correct?

Doc

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.

Using Browser Search To Find Answers in the Lenovo and Moto Communities
Check out our new Recent Service Tips Area ..your issue may already be solved!
Options

4 Posts

04-19-2021

United States of America

3 Signins

5 Page Views

• Message 3 of 7

2021-04-19, 13:30 PM
Hello! Thanks for your reply. I see a "type" sticker with the following 10 digit code: 20LT-SY1600. Only 10 digit number on a sticker on the back I see. I have 4 stationary monitors that ALL work fine. Some connect via HDMI, the others USB-C. The only one that is glitchy and not connecting is the portable external monitor. Details of it below: All I see for the make/model of the Portal Monitor is "LTAIN Portable Monitor" Thank you! Stephanie
Options

3510 Posts

12-13-2016

United States of America

5530 Signins

62291 Page Views

• Message 4 of 7

2021-04-19, 13:47 PM

The specs for their monitors (they have a 15' and a 13" it seems) aren't easy to find. I did see an Amazon page that mentions Thunderbolt, which might be the problem. Your computer doesn't support a Thunderbolt connection. I did see where the monitor has a mini-HDMI port and your ThinkPad has a regular HDMI port, if I'm not mistaken. An HDMI-to-mini HDMI cable would probably solve the issue. Here's an example. I don't own this cable, so don't take that link as a brand recommendation.

Doc

Options

4 Posts

04-19-2021

United States of America

3 Signins

5 Page Views

• Message 5 of 7

2021-04-19, 14:02 PM
Well it's connected via USB-C - which i've also used to connect the portable external monitor to not only my mac, but other PCs (Dell and HP). This is the only PC it's not working with. I did just try the HDMI connection and that DOES work. It isn't as convenient though because I have to have the monitor plugged in to an outlet then.
Options

3510 Posts

12-13-2016

United States of America

5530 Signins

62291 Page Views

• Message 6 of 7

2021-04-19, 14:45 PM

Didn't think to ask if you've updated all of your ThinkPad drivers and BIOS. Might give that a try, but if it's all up-to-date, it's likely a compatibility issue. You might also see if the monitor maker has any firmware updates that can be applied. IMO, a lot of these vendors test their devices with a Mac and a couple other brands and that's it. 

The power supply issue also raises an eyebrow. You're saying the monitor draws its power from the USB-C connection? That could also be an issue. Your USB-C port may not be designed to deliver the current the monitor requires. Again, I can't tell without some specs to look at which the monitor's maker doesn't seem to be keen on posting. Maybe there's a manual that came with it where the power requirements are listed.

Doc

Options

4 Posts

04-19-2021

United States of America

3 Signins

5 Page Views

• Message 7 of 7

2021-04-21, 12:26 PM

Yes, the monitor does draw its power from the USB-C connection (when that works) ...but since this one doesn't, the monitor is plugged into an outlet for power and seems to work connected to this laptop via HDMI. Not as convenient, but works.

The manual that came with it consisted of a small sheet that didn't have much on it. :( 

Thanks for your responses!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms