Options

65 Posts

04-27-2013

Greece

175 Signins

779 Page Views

• Views: 779
  • Message 1 of 13

High temperatures on idle making computer noisy (L520)

2013-04-27, 14:34 PM

Greetings to the Lenovo community.

I've just purchased a Thinkpad L520 5016-C74 (B960 CPU) laptop and comparing with other owners of the laptop I am getting somewhat increased temperatures, even in idle, resulting in increased fan noise which despite not being Loud is enough to make me reconsider my purchase if this is the base noise I will be dealing with in the future.

Specifically, with both balanced and low performance settings running on both battery and plugged in, I am seeing average temperatures of 46-7 degrees Celcius with just a browser window open and about 40-43C when completely idle, no programs running...

The fan noise at these temperatures is the same and much to take for an office laptop for someone spending much time reading pdfs and writing documents.

It was suggested to me that the stock thermal paste may not be doing quite a good job, or may not have been properly applied and I should better apply some high-end thermal paste like Arctic Silver 5 or IC Diamond 7 .

Considering that this is brand new computer, will I be voiding the warranty if I were to remove the heatsink, clear the existing thermal paste and add fresh one?

There is no chance the laptop having accumulated dust or anything. Unpackaged it yesteday afternoon, worked with it about 10 hours the past two days on a (clean) desk.

It kind of troubled me from the very beginning that a high pitched noise was being heard from the laptop the first 1-2 hours of its use these two days...after that it quiets down - in that respect...

Not sure if it could signify a problem...that high-pitched noise is not being currently produced after some hours of continuous operation.

What's your advice?

Thank you in advance

Options

11 Posts

04-23-2013

14 Signins

90 Page Views

• Message 2 of 13

Re: High temperatures on idle making computer noisy (L520)

2013-04-28, 18:03 PM
No reason to complain. At the moment my L520 sits at a solid 99 degrees CELCIUS, at idle, in "energy saver" mode. Tried to apply new thermal grease... No help.

Just install TPfancontrol for the L520, then you're good to go :-)
Options

65 Posts

04-27-2013

Greece

175 Signins

779 Page Views

• Message 3 of 13

2013-04-28, 23:26 PM
Thank you for your reply...

If my laptop makes me think about probable problem with the heatpipes, the thermal paste application or the proper contact of the heatsink with the CPU, then you definitely have a problem...

It's no reason to be cocky about it either, I would return that laptop ASAP.

I would prefer getting a better cooled laptop than actually cutting this one's life short by exposing it to such temperatures through TPFC...

It sound more like suicide than a solution
Options

11 Posts

04-23-2013

14 Signins

90 Page Views

• Message 4 of 13

2013-04-29, 11:45 AM
TPfancontrol is NOT what's making my L520 run so hot, it's something else really bad. Maybe the gasses in the heatsink that have evaporated. If i DON'T run TPfancontrol, my L520 will shut down every 2-3 minutes because of the heat.

TPfancontrol is known to make a lot of Lenovos a lot less noisier, by cooling more efficient.
Options

11 Posts

04-23-2013

14 Signins

90 Page Views

• Message 5 of 13

2013-04-29, 11:47 AM
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2278675

If you Google "lenovo fan noise" You'll se TPfancontrol recommended in 9 out of 10 threads.
Options

65 Posts

04-27-2013

Greece

175 Signins

779 Page Views

• Message 6 of 13

2013-05-02, 5:50 AM
I have a high temp issue (problematic, especially with the summer at hand) with my brand new laptop, which is causing increased fan noise (also very problematic and annoying for me) and you advise me to use TPFC to lower the fan speed, thus increase the temperature.
I fail to see how this deals with the issue at hand.

I am astounded the Lenovo staff has not intervened to ask you to refrain from giving such faulty advice.

You say your laptop is running at extremely high temps causing shutdowns but you don't put up the laptop for service, you accept such obvious flaws and you encourage me to do the same and you say TPFC has "fixed" this for you...so I guess you are using TPFC to increase the fan speed, to lower the temps.

You don't make any sense, so please stop responding to this thread (or I will report you) where I am asking the Lenovo support - who are surprisingly absent - a very specific question.
Options

11 Posts

04-23-2013

14 Signins

90 Page Views

• Message 7 of 13

2013-05-02, 13:46 PM

I will in no way stop giving the response that Lenovo has been backing up about. It is obvious that Lenovo is ignorant about the issues with the L520 (or at least the 1 - 1½ year old models), no BIOS updates or the like has been released.

The issue with my L520 was that the "fluid" had evaporated from the heat sink. With a new heat sink the temps are lower, but the PC is still noisy, although idling at 42 degrees C. TPFC makes the PC idle at a little higher, 49 degress C, but the PC is absolutely quiet. Thus, TPFC will actually solve your issue, as the issue is the BIOS' way of handling an actually rather low idle temp, and TPFC alters the settings to a more sensible level.

This advise has been given so many times in the Lenovo Community, without anyone ever getting verbally punched for it. Feel free to report me if you want, I'm just spreading the world told by numerous people on this community.

Options

65 Posts

04-27-2013

Greece

175 Signins

779 Page Views

• Message 8 of 13

2013-05-02, 15:03 PM
I have asked Lenovo a straightforward question

"will I be voiding the warranty if I were to remove the heatsink, clear the existing thermal paste and add fresh one?"

I also inquired about some noise coming out, which has not since been heard so I retract it.

Your replies in no way answer that for me...I want to efficiently deal with increased temperatures and you are advising me on ignoring them and taking measures that would make the matter worse.

That's bad advice...you are also making the Lenovo support look good by posting irrelevant things in unanswered threads which now appear "active"...

So do me a favor and take your advice somewhere else, you are trolling this thread and it's mine.
So yes, I will report you.
Options

11 Posts

04-23-2013

14 Signins

90 Page Views

• Message 9 of 13

2013-05-02, 15:06 PM

Why would you replace the thermal paste on a brand new computer yourself? Why not just send it in for a RMA?

If you want an answer directly from Lenovo, give them a call - this is the community. :-)

Best of luck in having your issue solved.

Options

13 Posts

05-30-2011

Germany

13 Signins

79 Page Views

• Views: 79
  • Message 10 of 13

2013-05-23, 15:32 PM

Regarding the heat problems. Can anyone with a L520 test something simple for me ?

I have a L520 too. I can play all games without heat problems. But if I send my Laptop into suspend and resume from suspend and play a powerful 3D game again, the Laptop shuts down after at least 15min.

Do you also have this issue ? It would be nice if someone could test this, because I assume it's an BIOS issue.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete