Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: L, R and SL series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

1 Posts

01-13-2021

Germany

1 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 1 of 2

L13 Yoga Gen 2 change harddrive and fan noise

2021-01-13, 22:49 PM

Good evening,

I purchased a Thinkpad L13 Yoga Gen 2 and I really love it.

But unfortunately there is one issue: The fan. It is almost always on. Watching a Full HD Youtube clip in Firefox can already trigger it, without any other program open. And it's not because of the processor load or temperature. The processor and graphics are working below 5%, RAM at maybe 30%, CPU temps not higher than 40°C and still the fan is on (And it's not the quietest one). Is there any idea how to fix this?

My Bios is up to date, as is my newly installed windows and all the drivers according to Lenovo Vantage. Windows battery switch (taskbar) is on 2 out of 4. BIOS/UEFI thermal management settings are set to balanced.

Secondly I was thinking about exchanging my M.2 SSD to a bigger one which I have lying around. It's an easy task but will this have an effect on my warranty?

Thank you very much, any help is appreciated!

EDIT: Specs are i5 11th Gen, 16GB RAM, Windows Pro

Options

3320 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

261 Signins

16770 Page Views

• Views: 16770
  • Message 2 of 2

Re:L13 Yoga Gen 2 change harddrive and fan noise

2021-01-14, 18:53 PM

Hello Ollix1, 

Welcome to Lenovo Community

Once you turn on the laptop, the fan will start running since the processor and other components will produce heat.

The fan will spin depending on how much heat the components produce. It still operates in idle mode to keep it within the recommended temperature. 

However if the fan is too noisy or unusually loud, then there might be hardware issue with it. If that's the case then I suggest you contact the tech support for your region.

Check if you likewise have the latest BIOS from the support site

As for the SSD, yes you may upgrade it. In general, this should not void the warranty unless if any parts are damaged during and after the process.

This may apply different per region so calling tech support would confirm it. 

Hope this helps

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms