Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: L, R and SL series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

01-18-2021

Czech Republic

4 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 1 of 9

L15 (20U7) Function keys default behavior (F1-F12 keys or Special hotkeys)

2021-01-18, 10:22 AM

Good day.

I got new Lenovo Thinkpad L15 gen 1 in configuration with AMD Ryzen CPU. I have found, that function key block (aka keys F1 - F12) has by default hotkey function and to use Fx function, I have to holt Fn key or use FnLock (by pressing Fn+Esc hotkey).

I was not happy with this solution, so I entered BIOS settings utility on next restart of laptop. There under section Config > Keyboard/Mouse could be found something called ``F1-F12 as Primary Function'' could be found. This seemed reasonable, so I enabled this feature, but after next boot of Win 10, notnigh changed. I pressed F1, but I get sound muted. So, I tried it few times to enable and disable this feature, but I was not successful.

BTW, during my trials, BIOS has been updated via Win 10 update. But even this does not change anything. If this feature is enabled/disabled no change could be detected.

So, I searched some more. I had found software called Lenovo Vantage (or something similar). There is similar option next to ``swap Ctrl and Fn keys''. I tried swapping of Fn and Ctrl and this works really well. Simple click on the fancy GUI button and it is changes in a second. I was happy, something works, so I get back to my main desire. I can see there two options - temporary and persistent. Actually, temporary works upside down. It is changing FnLock toggle, but vice versa. If I want special functions, it enables FnLock so I can use Fx keys. If I want Fx keys in Vantage software, i got FnLock disabled and I can mute sound by pressing F1... OK, someone made a mistake. I will try the persistent settings. After clicking of that GUI switch, I got message, that it has to restart laptop. If it would be working well, I would be happy. Let it do it job and restarts the laptop.  After restart no change at all. I tried any combination of manual BIOS and Vantage software settings, but nothing helped. Nothing is able to get original Fx function of Fx keys. I had already spent complete evening by trials, but nothing helped.

Long story short - any settings in BIOS or over Lenovo Vantage makes no effect. One has to use FnLock toggle on each start of Windows 10. How, happy I would be if all BIOS features would work without any issue.

Is there any hint of getting primary function keys working. I would like to be using special function hotkeys (sound control, brightness settings etc.) as secondary function in combination with Fn key held. FnLock toggle could change this for some reason, but I would not use it anymore.

Thank you in advance. 

If there will be some hack, I would be glad. But it would be much better if someone from Lenovo takes this as open issue for BIOS software fix in soon release...

Have a nice day :-)

Options

1553 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

102 Signins

7785 Page Views

• Views: 7785
  • Message 2 of 9

Re:L15 (20U7) Function keys default behavior (F1-F12 keys or Special hotkeys)

2021-01-18, 19:19 PM

Hello Doc_CZ,

Welcome to Lenovo Community

What is the current Windows OS version (eg. 1909 or 20h2)?

Any noticeable changes before this happened?

I suggest that you check this link as well.

Kindly reply with those information so that we can better assist you

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

3 Posts

01-18-2021

Czech Republic

4 Signins

20 Page Views

• Message 3 of 9

2021-01-19, 8:00 AM

Good day, Lorenzo.

Thank you for quick first reply. I did not want to be rude, so I checked the link you sent again. I have already seen that pages while searching for solution to my problem. This articles sometimes uses a bit different (perhaps older) terminology, but it does not help.

EDIT: I forgotten to write you build of my Windows 10. It is brand new laptop which presents version 2004 (build 19041.746) on winver dialog.

As I written, here is short resumé:

1) FnLock is not sufficient - I have to enable FnLock mode again on each start of OS etc. This is actually annoying.

2) Option in BIOS settings on my ThinkPad is available. But it does not affect anything (if it is enabled or disabled - I have still by default special functions).

3) BIOS update was already installed. I do not know if it came from Windows Update or Lenovo Vantage, but no more BIOS update for my laptop is available right now. So, now I expect to have up to date BIOS ready on my laptop.

4) Lenovo Vantage software has feature, that also does not work.

Anyway, thank you for your time so far. I appreciate it. But this is not solution for something, that I can see as bug in BIOS.

Perhaps, this is feature, that most of people does not require. However as developer I need to use F1-F12 with their original purpose without botherin with Fn or FnLock.

With best regards,

Doc_CZ

Options

207 Posts

07-30-2019

China

210 Signins

2600 Page Views

• Views: 2600
  • Message 4 of 9

2021-01-22, 9:39 AM

Hi 

I confirmed this is an real issue,  "F1-F12 as primary function" in BIOS setup does not work as expected. We will release a new version BIOS to fix it ASAP.   BTW,  on my L15 system the Fn+ESC could lock function key, it will not change even after restart or cold boot, please download and install latest hotkey driver from lenovo support website.   Thanks.

Hotkey Features Integration (Version 10) for Windows 10 (Version 1607 and later) - ThinkPad

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-l-series-laptops/thinkpad-l15-type-20u7-20u8/downloads/ds543947-hotkey-features-integration-for-windows-10-64-bit-thinkpad 

Options

3 Posts

01-18-2021

Czech Republic

4 Signins

20 Page Views

• Message 5 of 9

2021-01-22, 9:46 AM

Good day, Davey.

Thank you very much for your response. I am glad, that forum is being checked periodically and this is exactly the kind of answer for which I was looking forward. I really appreciate, that you checked that point and something will happen later. It is good that bug is already entered in understandable language in your bug tracker. As soon as I will get next BIOS update, I will check this feature. Or if someone gives new message to this thread, I could try it manually (if it is still possible).

With best regards.

Doc_CZ

Options

3 Posts

08-24-2020

United States of America

5 Signins

20 Page Views

• Message 6 of 9

2021-01-29, 7:13 AM

Hi,

I went to Lenovo Software support and paid the fee to try to reach the Vantage team because the email is now internal to Lenovo employees. This was in December. I finally decided to create my community profile on Lenovo forums and found this post. This issue has been bothering me for the past few months and over two L15 devices (I got the first one replaced because the webcam wasn't functional).

If my debugging helps, I believe it's both the Lenovo Vantage software and the BIOS in tandem, because when the setting is off, the FN-Lock light is on during boot in case the user needs to go to the BIOS settings. When the setting is on, the FN-Lock light is off. In other words, the setting flips in the BIOS but not in Windows, which means its partially the Vantage services running on the OS. On WIndows, the special hotkeys are forced, and the only way to access F1-F12 is by FN-Lock or holding the FN key.

Thank you, Davey for acknowledging this issue and giving me hope for a patch.

Thank you, Doc for posting about this issue here when I didn't.

Please note that my L15 has a different support page and updates from the link to the hotkey patch posted under the software. I have this model set: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-l-series-laptops/thinkpad-l15-type-20u3-20u4/downloads/driver-list/component?name=Software%20and%20Utilities

Options

207 Posts

07-30-2019

China

210 Signins

2600 Page Views

• Views: 2600
  • Message 7 of 9

2021-02-03, 4:32 AM

Hi All

New BIOS V1.16 has been released to  fix the issue, you can donwload it from Lenovo support by below link.   

BIOS Update (Utility & Bootable CD) for Windows 10 (64-bit) - ThinkPad L14 (Types: 20U5, 20U6), L15 (Types: 20U7, 20U8)

Please mark my post as a solution after you confirm issue is fixed by this BIOS.

Thank you. 

Hi  Azriel5 

The link your provided is for L15 Intel platform model(20U3,20U4). L15 AMD model is 20U7,20U8.  Below link is for L15(20U7, 20U8) hotkey driver. 

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-l-series-laptops/thinkpad-l15-type-20u7-20u8/20u7/downloads/ds543947-hotkey-features-integration-for-windows-10-64-bit-thinkpad

@ Azriel5 wrote:

Hi,

I went to Lenovo Software support and paid the fee to try to reach the Vantage team because the email is now internal to Lenovo employees. This was in December. I finally decided to create my community profile on Lenovo forums and found this post. This issue has been bothering me for the past few months and over two L15 devices (I got the first one replaced because the webcam wasn' functional).

If my debugging helps, I believe it' both the Lenovo Vantage software and the BIOS in tandem, because when the setting is off, the FN-Lock light is on during boot in case the user needs to go to the BIOS settings. When the setting is on, the FN-Lock light is off. In other words, the setting flips in the BIOS but not in Windows, which means its partially the Vantage services running on the OS. On WIndows, the special hotkeys are forced, and the only way to access F1-F12 is by FN-Lock or holding the FN key.

Thank you, Davey for acknowledging this issue and giving me hope for a patch.

Thank you, Doc for posting about this issue here when I didn'.

Please note that my L15 has a different support page and updates from the link to the hotkey patch posted under the software. I have this model set: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-l-series-laptops/thinkpad-l15-type-20u3-20u4/downloads/driver-list/component?name=Software%20and%20Utilities

Options

3 Posts

08-24-2020

United States of America

5 Signins

20 Page Views

• Message 8 of 9

2021-02-09, 2:09 AM

Options

3 Posts

08-24-2020

United States of America

5 Signins

20 Page Views

• Message 9 of 9

2021-02-09, 2:28 AM

Hi Davey,

I updated by the one the Lenovo Vantage app served me automatically as a popup, I didn't check the forum frequently enough to see your message.

I have the AMD version of this ThinkPad like you said. However the Vantage App, when clicking "Lenovo Support Site" and bringing me to the page for my serial number, says I have this: L15 (type 20U3, 20U4) Laptop (ThinkPad) - Type 20U3

So I guess the next bug we have here is that the Lenovo Vantage app possibly links to the wrong one. Or its a problem unique to me because I have a custom machine?

Either way THANKS for actually getting the issue fixed!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms