Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: L, R and SL series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

07-28-2021

Austria

5 Signins

85 Page Views

• Views: 85
  • Message 1 of 5

L15 Gen2 AMD stopped charging via docking station

2021-08-24, 8:41 AM

Hi,

My Thinkpad L15 Gen2 AMD stopped charging via docking station all of the sudden. Yesterday everything was fine. I shut down the notebook over night and today in the morning it did not charge anymore via the USB-C docking station. If the charger is connected directly to one of the USB-C ports charging works as expected, but as soon I try to use the docking station, it does not charge the notebook anymore. Also the display, which is connected via the docking station isn't working. Keyboard, mouse and Webcam connected via the docking station are working fine.

I tried the following things:

• tried two other USB-C docking stations -> same behavior as describe above (not charging & external display does not work)
  • tried different power adapters -> same behavior
  • use the other USB-C port -> same behavior
  • tried all used docking stations and power adapters on another notebook -> works as expected

It would be nice if there is some way to find out if this issue is an hardware issue and I should call the support for a repair or if I can solve this issue somehow.

Options

4175 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

325 Signins

20705 Page Views

• Views: 20705
  • Message 2 of 5

Re:L15 Gen2 AMD stopped charging via docking station

2021-08-24, 16:46 PM

Hello 0x5F3759DF,

Greetings

May I know if you made any changes on the computer or the physical set up before the problem occurred?
Can you tell me what exact model of USB-C Docking station are you using?
I also suggest that you share the machine type model / MTM (ex. 81C70000RK or 20UD000BUS) from the sticker usually under the case. This would help us detail more about your machine variant while keeping the confidentiality of your serial number. 
Update us soon as convenient.

Regards, 
Lorenzo_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

5 Posts

07-28-2021

Austria

5 Signins

85 Page Views

• Message 3 of 5

2021-08-24, 20:00 PM

Thanks for your reply!

The Notebook is a Thinkpad L15 Gen2 AMD (20X7).

Regarding changes on the physical setup: I shutdown the notebook yesterday in the evening and unplugged the power adapter from the power outlet. Today in the morning I plugged in the power adapter again and started the notebook, but it didn't charge and the external display wasn't working.

Options

1355 Posts

05-14-2020

United States of America

575 Signins

6995 Page Views

• Views: 6995
  • Message 4 of 5

2021-08-25, 13:18 PM

Hello,

Thankyou for providing more specific model information.  However to refine it perfectly there is a 10 digit number starting with 80XL as the first 4 digits.  On my L15 Gen2 AMD this is molded on the bottom case, however I need a magnifying glass and a bright desk lamp shining at just the right angle to read them...

Also, docking stations and computers are not universally compatible, many won't work together at all, a few only work together with special configuration commands to either the docking station firmware or the computer or both, and some work seamlessly.   Please find the designation for your docking station and provide it.

For generic trouble shooting, with your computer removed from the docking station and no other wires or monitors connected:

From windows desktop use your mouse pointer and find the windows power menu.  Activate the power menu and select RESTART.  If an option is presented to Install updates then restart select that one.   If updates were available after it starts up again, it could take several minutes to install the updates, do this again, and if updates are still offered install those as well.  Continue this cycle until no updates are offered for installation.  Then choose SHUTDOWN and allow the computer to completely power off to cold shutdown mode.

While powered off, insert the OEM energized power adapter into the port your user guide says is to be used for charging, and reveiw the led to learn if charging is happening.

Then power up into windows and also review if charging is happening.   There are multiple user settings that prevent charging depending upon how much charge is already in the battery.   One confusingly named setting for "maximum battery life" prevents charging above 50% capacity level.  If state of charge is higher than the user setting for maximum charge, the battery won't charge.

Now if you have one, test an external monitor function using an HDMI cable and a monitor.   USB C needs the correct kind of cable connect to the correct port on your computer and the correct kind of monitor, and possibly correct setup commands to both the computer and monitor.

Lastly test function in your docking station.

Good Luck!
Usedtoberich

Options

5 Posts

07-28-2021

Austria

5 Signins

85 Page Views

• Message 5 of 5

2021-08-25, 20:36 PM

Thanks for your reply!

A minor correction to what I wrote above. If I wrote that the notebook "does not charge" I meant that the AC status light between the two USB-C ports is off (does not show a white or amber color) and Windows 10 shows "on battery" instead of "plugged in" or "charging" even if the power adapter is plugged in via the PD port of the dock and the dock is connected to the notebook via one of the USB-C ports. If the power adapter is connected to the notebook directly the AC status light is on (amber or white depending on the battery percentage) and Windows shows "plugged in" resp. "charging".

As suggested I tried to power off the notebook, disconnected everything, connected the power adapter to the dock and connected the dock to the computer. If doing so the notebook is powered (AC status light is on and Windows shows "plugged-in" or "charging"). As soon as I disconnect the dock and reconnect it again the notebook isn't powered anymore by the power-adapter (AC status light is off and Windows shows "on battery").

Regarding the external display: if the external monitor is connected via the HDMI port of the notebook it works as expected. If the external monitor is connected via the HDMI or via DisplayPort on the dock it does not work anymore.

All that (external display and powering the notebook) worked perfectly on both of the USB-C ports until it stopped working all of a sudden from one day to the other.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms