Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: L, R and SL series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

12-21-2020

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

3 Signins

10 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 10
  • Message 1 of 7

L15 Type 20U3 - Stuck in sleep mode, cannot power off

2020-12-21, 19:23 PM

Hello, After doing a recommened Bios Update, my laptop will not wake up from sleep. I try with keyboard, mouse and power button, plugged in or plugged out and it just stays in sleep mode. Doesn't seem to react to anything keyboard or mouse. I cannot even Power it off with power button, There is no removable battery or emergency reset button, I dont know what to do. Any advice welcome.

Answer
Options

975 Posts

01-04-2018

United States of America

524 Signins

6681 Page Views

• Views: 6681

Re:L15 Type 20U3 - Stuck in sleep mode, cannot power off

2020-12-21, 20:04 PM

First, make sure the power button is not working by holding it down for 10 seconds. Moreover, how certain are you that it is actually in sleep mode? Are there any lights turning on and off? Assuming what you've described is true:

You shouldn't update your BIOS unless you really have to, since it can cause errors just like this one. If you remove the back cover of the laptop, you'll have access to the battery. From there, there will be a cable connecting that battery to the motherboard. As soon as you disconnect it, the laptop should shut down.

Some warnings: The laptop is not shut down, I recommend wearing rubber gloves to keep from getting shocked. Make sure you're comfortable with opening the laptop, accidental damages are not usually covered in warranty.

Once the laptop is closed, see if you can turn it back on. If possible, rollback to the previous BIOS if you run into more errors.Let me know.

Replies(6)
Answer
Options

975 Posts

01-04-2018

United States of America

524 Signins

6681 Page Views

• Message 2 of 7

2020-12-21, 20:04 PM

First, make sure the power button is not working by holding it down for 10 seconds. Moreover, how certain are you that it is actually in sleep mode? Are there any lights turning on and off? Assuming what you've described is true:

You shouldn't update your BIOS unless you really have to, since it can cause errors just like this one. If you remove the back cover of the laptop, you'll have access to the battery. From there, there will be a cable connecting that battery to the motherboard. As soon as you disconnect it, the laptop should shut down.

Some warnings: The laptop is not shut down, I recommend wearing rubber gloves to keep from getting shocked. Make sure you're comfortable with opening the laptop, accidental damages are not usually covered in warranty.

Once the laptop is closed, see if you can turn it back on. If possible, rollback to the previous BIOS if you run into more errors.Let me know.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

3 Posts

12-21-2020

3 Signins

10 Page Views

• Message 3 of 7

2020-12-21, 20:19 PM

Thank you for your quick answer.

First, make sure the power button is not working by holding it down for 10 seconds. 

I did try to power it off for 10, 30 seconds, etc to no effect.

Moreover, how certain are you that it is actually in sleep mode? Are there any lights turning on and off? Assuming what you've described is true:

I could see it was sleeping based on blinking light both on power button and on the I at the top of the computer, it was the slow blinking of sleep mode. 

If you remove the back cover of the laptop, you'll have access to the battery. From there, there will be a cable connecting that battery to the motherboard. As soon as you disconnect it, the laptop should shut down.

Thank you for the advice, as you mentioned computer  is still under warranty and computer was still running and powered on didn't want to take that risk. 

To give you an update and other users that might have had the issue - I let it be unplugged for about 30 minutes or so and when I came back looked off, tried to power on unpluged to no effect, plugged it on and power and was booting as normal.

I am not sure of what happened here, if it was the Bios that kept installing but don't remember previous updates taking such a long time and screen stayed on until complete or something else that I should look into. Contacted Lenovo to see if I should run some diagnostics or update some things, anyway so far, so good. 

Thank you again for your fast answer and your tips regarding the battery, miss the good ol' days of removable batteries. 

Options

975 Posts

01-04-2018

United States of America

524 Signins

6681 Page Views

• Message 4 of 7

2020-12-21, 20:23 PM
That is strange. I was going to recommend leaving it unplugged until the battery drained, but I've had a laptop survive in sleep mode for over a month, so it didn't sound practical. Glad things worked out !
Options

3 Posts

12-21-2020

3 Signins

10 Page Views

• Message 5 of 7

2020-12-21, 20:34 PM

This is exactly what I was worried about, having to wait a month for the answer, most likely the gloves will have been out then ! :D

Just did a sleep test and worked normally, was able to get back from it as usual. 

I suspect this was the Bios update that kept being installed, but to have screen off and sleep mode on, don't remember this from previous updates, don't remember it taking it such a long time as well. 

Asked Lenovo to provide some guidance on what happened here and what can be done to prevent it again, will post any updates here. 

For now, people that had the issue after or during a Bios update, just unplug, wait up to 60 minutes and should power off by itself. Then plug again and power. 

Options

7 Posts

01-17-2021

Malaysia

5 Signins

55 Page Views

• Views: 55
  • Message 6 of 7

2021-01-22, 15:17 PM

Why updating the BIOS will caused failure to the machine? Thought Lenovo will only rolled out the updated version after system checked. My L15 type 20U7 has almost the same issue but it will turn off and on all in a sudden and it cannot startup normally after the sudden turn off. And i have only use it for 5 days from the first day i received it from Lenovo. Now it was in the Service Centre waiting to get the motherboard changed and the Technician said most probably caused by motherboard failure. And is a SHOCK to me, a THINKPAD brand that i have get to used with for 16 years of trust that never caused trouble to me, i have recognised THINKPAD for its durability and reliability and all of a sudden, new THINKPAD failed in 5 days. I do not want to talk bad about THINKPAD as now i am still have THINKPAD W510 i7 with me since 11 years ago and it is still working as it was 11 years ago and never repair a single part with just a weak battery now. My other THINKPAD T400 also still serving me as a back up laptop now. LENOVO NEEDS TO IMPROVE THEIR QC for the new machines. Thanks!

Options

1 Posts

08-01-2018

United States of America

3 Signins

4 Page Views

• Views: 4
  • Message 7 of 7

2021-06-10, 22:43 PM

There is a small hole underneath the laptop. Use a pin to push it in. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms