Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: L, R and SL series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

13 Posts

02-20-2019

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

28 Signins

208 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 208
  • Message 1 of 6

L390Y Blank Screen, Screaming Fans, No Light, Cannot Switch Off!

2019-04-13, 7:47 AM

After shutting down my L390 last night as normal (fully charged). The only event yesterday was installing FX Audio Enhancer to control my speakers - that went well and worked fine throughout the day. I noticed that while I was browsing the web late last night the machine was running much warmer than usual and the fans came on, which is very rare for my unit, however that could be a coincidence. 

I turned it on this morning (not plugged in) and I got the red Lenovo welcome screen, then the Windows picture for a few seconds - then the screen went black and the fans started screaming (and have stayed that way).

No lights are on. I cannot find a way to turn the laptop off. I've tried holding in the on/off button for a minute. I've tried connecting it to another monitor, but still blank. For the last two hours I've had a screaming brick sitting in my room and I don't know what to do. I can't leave the house in case it overheats and burns up. It's a Saturday so I can't phone Lenovo support until Monday. Please suggest something before I go mad!

All I can think of is to let the battery run right down, then the fan will stop, then it will cool down enough for me to open it and I'll detach and reattach the battery and re-seat the RAM. And until then I'll have to stay indoors to keep an eye on it.

Options

13 Posts

02-20-2019

28 Signins

208 Page Views

• Views: 208
  • Message 2 of 6

Re: L390Y Blank Screen, Screaming Fans, No Light, Cannot Switch Off!

2019-04-14, 18:35 PM

I had to let the battery go flat, then the fans died, it cooled down and I could check it. No obvious issues. I plugged it into the mains, turned it on, and it then booted up and behaved normally. I have no idea what caused the glitch but would appreciate any insights from anyone who has also experienced it. I really hope this doesn't happen again - I need to rely on it when I'm away on business.

Options

12 Posts

04-14-2019

United States of America

13 Signins

145 Page Views

• Views: 145
  • Message 3 of 6

2019-04-14, 19:04 PM

Lindsay,

I would check to see if a BIOS update is available for your machine. If there is one available, install it. See if there are any driver updates available for installation.

If it happens again, get in touch with Lenovo support. This, to me, sounds like a motherboard issue. If you just purchased the machine recently, you may need to return it and get a new one.

Options

11 Posts

03-13-2019

29 Signins

193 Page Views

• Views: 193
  • Message 4 of 6

2019-05-25, 6:50 AM

Thank you for your reply, I've only just seen it (not sure why I didn't get notified of this one). Since the glitch, the laptop has behaved perfectly - if it happens again I will definitely get in touch with Lenovo support. I did do the most recent BIOS update a couple of weeks ago which went fine (plus I always keep my drivers up to date), but the update has left me with consistent fan noise when plugged in (perhaps the next update will resolve that). I'll report back if I have any further issues. 

Options

5 Posts

02-08-2019

United States of America

13 Signins

114 Page Views

• Views: 114
  • Message 5 of 6

2019-05-29, 6:57 AM
tpfancontrol in order to control he fan is the main advantage of thinkpads

you can also install throttle stop to control how much speed-heat your cpu will use
Options

12 Posts

04-14-2019

United States of America

13 Signins

145 Page Views

• Views: 145
  • Message 6 of 6

2019-05-29, 12:46 PM

Re-read the OP. 

TPFanControl wouldn’t help here.

Controlling throttling wouldn’t help here.

The OP’s machine was non-functional. More software would not have helped. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms