02-12-2014

Michigan

2 Signins

30 Page Views

• Views: 30
  • Message 1 of 6

L412 Laptop - continuously shutting down

2014-02-12, 1:56 AM

I have a Lenovo L412 laptop from my company, which has sporadically been shutting down at random.  For the past few months, it was occurring every 2 or 3 days, 1 time.  But today, it shut down and I've been unable to get it to stay logged in enough to even open a file!  As soon as the system logs in, it simply shuts down - completely.  

I am running this on a wood laptop stand with air vents.  I'm also using the power cord continuously because the battery has about 15 minutes of capacity.

When the problem first occurred, I gave it to my tech guys and they re-imaged my machine (losing much of my locally stored documents).  It did nothing to fix the problem.

I put a call in to them again and they require a ticket to fix the problem, which I'm unable to create since I cannot get into the system.  I'm writing this on my home Mac - which never has problems like my work PC.    :smileyhappy:

Any suggestions on things I could try to get this working?  I can't afford a day of them munking with it and giving it back with the same issue. 

Thanks

JNew

Options

1091 Posts

09-24-2013

Bangalore

558 Signins

43656 Page Views

• Views: 43656
  • Message 2 of 6

Re: L412 Laptop - continuously shutting down

2014-02-13, 9:33 AM

Hi Jnew,

Welcome to Lenovo Community Forums!

I’m really sorry to hear that your Lenovo ThinkPad L412 is randomly shutting down.

Abrupt shutdowns normally occur due to overheating issue as chances of dust getting accumulated are high. First of all, I would suggest you to ensure that air vents are not blocked and there is a proper air flow. Also, check the speeds at which the fan is spinning. Start using compatible cooling pads which will help in the flow of cool air into the underside vents of the laptop.

Check in safe mode and see if the system is restarting there also. If you are able to get into safe mode, Input "msconfig" in run command and click the tab "Startup" to disable all. Reboot and if the problem is resolved, narrow down to specific startup file which is causing the shutdown.

Run Lenovo solution center diagnostics to check if there is any hardware failure. Update BIOS to the latest version. Also, perform a Lenovo system update and Windows update.

Run a complete virus scan with a latest updated antivirus.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

Mithun.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

Options

4 Posts

11-27-2012

France

8 Signins

34 Page Views

• Views: 34
  • Message 3 of 6

2014-03-07, 13:45 PM

I have the exact same problem with my Lenovo L412.

Random crash.. dust in the fan.. how can I remove the dust ? is there a Youtube video about that ?

Thank you.

Options

1091 Posts

09-24-2013

Bangalore

558 Signins

43656 Page Views

• Message 4 of 6

2014-03-10, 5:07 AM

Hi,

Please refer the hardware maintenance manual which will show you how to perform disassembly of the system and where the components are located. 

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

Mithun.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

9 Posts

02-03-2014

US

13 Signins

124 Page Views

• Views: 124
  • Message 5 of 6

2014-03-10, 12:47 PM

I did the same thing.. thanks to Youtube!!

Options

1091 Posts

09-24-2013

Bangalore

558 Signins

43656 Page Views

• Message 6 of 6

2014-03-11, 5:11 AM

Hi dylanmartinez,

Nice to hear that your issue got resolved. Please feel free to post back in Lenovo Community Forums if you have any further query.

Cheers!

Best regards,

Mithun.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete