07-13-2016

UK

2 Signins

24 Page Views

• Views: 24
  • Message 1 of 2

L420 win 10 64bit realtek driver

2016-07-13, 21:52 PM

Hi, in attempting to upgrade to win 10 I get an error to say I can only upgrade to 32bit windows 10 as the realtek card reader driver is not compatible. I cannot find a driver for this device built for 64 bit win 10. I would be quite happy to proceed without it as the card reader never worked in the first place. I am now running 32 bit windows 10 and as a result my Ram has been reduced to 4GB and the system performs poorly. It was better on win7 64bit with 8GB ram. Anyone else had similar problem and is there a workaround ? Possibly involving removal of card reader pre upgrade ?   Many thanks. Keith 

Solved! See the solution
Options

5997 Posts

06-27-2008

United States of America

28702 Signins

1643193 Page Views

• Views: 1643193
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: L420 win 10 64bit realtek driver

2016-08-03, 4:36 AM

Good day and welcome to the community.

Interesting predicament...

If you want to try a minimally invasive experiment, boot to your BIOS and load the I/O Port Access item under the Security tab. If you see a card reader item, set it to Disabled (see below). Then, you might try your Win10x64 install. If the disabled BIOS setting prevents the Windows installer from enumerating the device, the install might just succeed. If you don't have a card reader item listed in your BIOS, then you could try the next option of pulling the physical hardware.

To remove the card reader, see manual pages 81-83 of the hardware manual: https://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/l420_l421_l520_hmm_en_0a60342_07.pdf. The process looks straightforward. One small double-ended cable, two screws, and the card reader is out.

If you decide to try, please let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Note: this image is from my X220 BIOS, same generation as your L420, so hopefully a similar screen.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms