Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: L, R and SL series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

L490 Extreme temperatures

2020-12-06, 22:32 PM

I have a couple months old L490 Thinkpad and while surfing the internet the CPU is at 70c-80c, I don't think this is normal.

The fan behavior is really strange, because it only engages when the CPU is already at 80c and it lets the CPU hit 100c.

BIOS update didn't fix the problem. While in BIOS the fan remains running at approx. 1k-2k rpm but on Windows it starts at 4k, on Linux(Arch,Debian,Ubuntu) the fan just doesn't work at all(0rpm).

I have tried controlling the fan speed manually with TPFanControl but levels 1,2,3 do nothing, the fan just jumps to 2.1k rpm and back to 0rpm, level 4 is already 4300rpm.

The laptop is under-warranty but I don't think it will last 1 year under these temperatures.

Options

2 Posts

06-14-2021

Italy

8 Signins

45 Page Views

• Views: 45
  • Message 2 of 3

L490 Extreme temperatures

2021-06-14, 13:19 PM
I have the exact same behavior on my L590. On Linux, i suggest using ThinkFan to control the speed of the fan, in my case it's the only solution to see it spin (you have to enable experimental mode to make it work). On Windows I did not find any fix, since i don't really use it, but I noticed it only works when power is set to Max Performance, but it tends to reach very high temperatures...
Options

3 Posts

07-06-2021

Germany

7 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 3 of 3

Re:L490 Extreme temperatures

2021-07-06, 15:09 PM

Found any solution for windows?

I have absolutely the same problem.  :/

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms