Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: L, R and SL series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

01-06-2015

7 Signins

29 Page Views

• Message 1 of 1

L530 and 4338 dock problem

2015-01-06, 8:01 AM

I recently got a second hand 4338-20U dock / port replicator on eBay and I am having some issue with it.  I have a T530 and my wife an L530.  I got the dock so we could have desk in the corner of the living room that either of us could use  by dropping a laptop into the dock.

The T530 (running Ubuntu 14.11) works perfectly, just drop it into the dock and it charges, picks up the second monitor / ethernet / USB and so forth.  The L530 (Windows 7 N) however does not.  When I put it in the dock the connection light on the dock (the one that looks like a computer, next to the eject button) does not light up.  The laptop does not recognise any of the attached peripherals.  The only thing that happens it that it claims to be charging the battery through the dock connection, although the battery itself still discharges.  The power button on the dock also works to turn the laptop on and off.  No monitor / USB / ethernet is detected.

I have noticed that when I put the working T530 into the dock there is a very definite click as the connection is made. This does not happen with the L530, there is a click of sorts but it is not as 'satisfying'!  It is definitely attached, and will not come off without pressing the eject button.  This leads me to believe that the L530 is not fully connecting to the dock for some reason.  Looking at the back of both laptops, the interfaces appear to be identical so I don't know why this would be.

I have tried updating all drivers, and running Lenovo System update on the L530, as well as using a live CD to boot the L530 into Ubuntu, to no avail.

Has anyone come across a problem such as this before?  Any help would be much appreciated!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms