02-03-2018

JP

28 Signins

157 Page Views

• Views: 157
  • Message 1 of 3

L540 fan control

2019-05-26, 23:32 PM

This seems to be a somewhat common question, but I have not seen a conclusive answer for this particular laptop model.

While the L540 is a nice machine, the fan annoys me. My environment is very quiet, and the noise is always audible. It seems to be running 95% of the time, even at a low CPU load of less than 10%. What's particularly annoying is the fan's habit to go quiet for a minute or so, then suddenly give a big blow as if it woke up in a fit.

I replaced the hard disk with an SSD, which makes the PC quieter and, I guess, also a bit cooler. Memory is not an issue - the PC has 10GB RAM and uses roughly half of it most of the time. There is no dust in the box, vents are not obstructed, and I use a laptop stand that ensures plenty of air around the body - much more air than if it were sitting flat on the desk.

According to the Speedfan utility, temperatures are rarely above 50 degrees Celsius - not extremely low, but then not really high either.

After all this background, my simple question is whether there is a way to control the fan in any way. While Speedfan does have a fan control feature, it doesn't "see" the L540's fan. I didn't find any fan controls in the UEFI.

Solved! See the solution
Options

4310 Posts

07-24-2013

CH

12952 Signins

376958 Page Views

• Views: 376958
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: L540 fan control

2019-05-27, 12:54 PM

I use TPFanControl in almost all my ThinkPads running Windows. You can get it from here: click me!

Using Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

13 Posts

02-03-2018

JP

28 Signins

157 Page Views

• Views: 157
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: L540 fan control

2019-05-29, 0:13 AM

TPFancontrol has not been developed for four years, but I gave it a try. Many versions are listed at https://thinkwiki.de/TPFanControl, and while the L540 is not among the supported PCs, I had satisfactory results with tpfc_v062L.

This version uses an eight-bit value to set the fan speed, where 0 blows at full throttle and 255 stops the fan. Two downsides I have noticed so far:

• Low speed settings, for example 240, make the fan go on and off in a 3-4 seconds interval, which is even more annoying than the constant whine I usually hear and, I wonder, might be bad for the fan.
  • The fan still has the habit of suddenly starting to blow after a longer silence.

In spite of this, the program it is a big improvement over the laptop's built-in fan control. Perhaps it can be improved with careful configuration changes. Of course, I can also set a fixed speed if I am really tired of hearing the noise.

I was looking for the source code and could not find it. Sourceforge seems to have old versions only.

When I have a bit more time, I will also evaluate another program that is currently under active development, Notebook FanControl.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete