Options

3 Posts

05-16-2008

Wales

2 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 1 of 3

Lenovo R61i Vista Premium + SP1 - Throwing Up Errors Left Right and Center + No Sound

2008-05-16, 10:26 AM
Hi There
I have read the other posts that are similar to this, and tried pretty much everything there, but nothing is working. I'm (trying, for the second time) to run a system restore now.
I installed Vista Service Pack 1 today, when Windows Update popped up and told me that I needed to. Fine. It spend about half an hour running through it's stuff, while I used the other computer (this one).
After the installation finished, it booted up, and I was first confronted by the message " On screen message display handler has stopped working" with the option to stop it, which I clicked. No noticeable difference, so I just continued.
Next up, I hovered the volume icon, and it said that there were no audio devices installed. I Googled it, and found the Microsoft KB article, and followed the steps. Performed a reboot -> no change. The message above popped up again, though. Checked if the driver was there, and it was. Tried upgrading it, apparently it's up to date. Tried reinstalling it, it uninstalled, but wouldn't reinstall, popped up a message saying it couldn't complete. Lo and behold, behind that, "Driver installer has stopped working" and closed.

So, I have no sound, and lots of error messages. What steps should I take to resolve this? As I said, I'm trying a system restore to bin SP1, but it's failing. Doesn't say much for Vista. I hate to think what else isn't working, but how do I fix this? I'll be pretty p'd off if i lose my sound completely.

UPDATE - System Restore failed again. I'm running a Lenovo Update, just in case.
Solved! See the solution
Options

3 Posts

05-16-2008

Wales

2 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: Lenovo R61i Vista Premium + SP1 - Throwing Up Errors Left Right and Center + No Sound

2008-05-16, 10:51 AM
Fixed it.
I went to the Lenovo website, and manually downloaded the driver, forced an uninstall by Windows, and did it manually. I got 3 "not working" errors, but after a reboot, everything seems good.
I've yet to check how many other drivers aren't working, though :S

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

1 Posts

06-01-2008

Canada

3 Signins

12 Page Views

• Views: 12
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: Lenovo R61i Vista Premium + SP1 - Throwing Up Errors Left Right and Center + No Sound

2008-06-01, 3:51 AM
ugh.... me too, same ugly messages and I lost my audio on my model R61 8932... but with Vista Business when I tried to apply Vista SP1  to my machine.  Interestingly the Vista Service pack 1 failed initially when I tried to apply it too, but it worked on a second attempt.. I think the machine went to sleep it took so long...  It took me a few attempts to try to re-install the these Conexant 4.18 drivers and reboot a few times before I got the audio back...  I believe my touchpad (ultranav) should have remained disabled too but it seemed to come back to life...  On my other T61 with Vista premium I had no problem putting on Vista SP1... 
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms