Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: L, R and SL series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

05-09-2020

Costa Rica

2 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 1 of 4

Lenovo SL500 on high CPU usage works with AC plugged in, shuts down when AC unplugged

2020-05-09, 0:50 AM

Okay so I have a 2nd hand Lenovo SL500 which seemed to work pretty well until, on rare ocassions, when having high CPU usage (as much as just opening Chrome for a few seconds, or running Prime95 for less than a minute) the laptop would just shut itself down, as if the battery was unplugged.

Originally it came with a bad battery (doesn't charge), so had to get one from eBay. The battery seems to work fine because I used the laptop for quite some time, but it started to shut down everytime I used something with high CPU usage. This is on Windows 10.

I would think it's the battery to blame... but how do I check? I just had a successful run of Prime95 with AC plugged in, but as soon as I disconnected the charger, the laptop shutted down.

I had recently changed the thermal paste, using Artic Silver 5, so GPU is around 60-80°C and CPU reaches around 82°C on 100% load for a while.

What could I do to have this baby running better? It's kinda unusable as-is.

Thanks in advance!

Options

4479 Posts

07-24-2013

Switzerland

13234 Signins

379343 Page Views

• Views: 379343
  • Message 2 of 4

Re:Lenovo SL500 on high CPU usage works with AC plugged in, shuts down when AC unplugged

2020-05-09, 11:07 AM

Welcome to the forum!

Those temps are too high, keep in mind that when you replace the thermal paste you should first clean the old one from both CPU and heatsink, and then apply a very thin layer of paste over the CPU die.

I would also recommend to use a newer generation paste like Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut.

It could be that after the years, the heatpipe lost its cooling properties, If repasting doesn't show any improvements, I would replace the heatsink and fan with a new one.

Btw, make also sure the fan is not dirty or clogged. You can clean it using canned air, but make sure to block the fan with your fingers to prevent it from spinning.

Using Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community
Options

2 Posts

05-09-2020

Costa Rica

2 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 3 of 4

Re:Lenovo SL500 on high CPU usage works with AC plugged in, shuts down when AC unplugged

2020-06-09, 0:19 AM

Hello Tasurinchi!

Thanks a lot for your answer and the warm welcome :)

I did clean the old thermal paste from the laptop (it was like a cookie, haha) and replaced it initially with Artic Silver 5. Now I did another replacement with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut as you recommended, again with a thin layer. Indeed the temps went lower, on 100% load with Prime95, Core #0 = 54°C and Core #1 = 46°C. As for GPU, 49°C.

Repasting did show some big improvements, and the fan and heatsink pipes look new and shiny. I assume the previous owner might have replaced it somehow. Airflow seems to behave well.

I got a new battery for it too from eBay, but alas, it doesn't work well again. I dunno why? As soon as I unplug the AC, it powers off. Then it doesn't want to turn on for about a minute. When it turns on without the AC, it works until there's some slight load (i.e. open Prime95 and just hit start) and it powers off again.

I'm attaching pictures of the laptop's internals and the batteries I got (plus the original battery which seems to be dead - top left). Hopefully this'll help?

Thanks!

Options

4479 Posts

07-24-2013

Switzerland

13234 Signins

379343 Page Views

• Views: 379343
  • Message 4 of 4

2020-06-09, 11:50 AM

Those are impressive temps indeed :-)  

About the batteries, the one on the top left seems a genuine one, but the other two look like knock offs (can't say for 100%, since I cannot zoom the pictures).

I would rather try to get a genuine one, if the problem persists it could be a hardware issue. Alternatively you could try to boot from a Linix Distro and see if you still have the same behavior, just to rule out software and driver problems.

Using Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms