03-24-2020

NO

1 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 1 of 3

Lenovo TP L460: Locked Out of BIOS

2020-03-24, 10:26 AM

I've been messing around with my old Lenovo Thinkpad L460 Laptop that I used to use in Highschool back in 2017-18 when I was studying and back then it was the school's property and under use and domain of our local capital network (VFK), when I was done and got my highschool degree in June 2018 I got to keep the PC and it got removed from domain etc. and basically Privatized by the school's IT department, now I took this PC back up yesterday to try out some Linux as I'm not to good with Linux. After booting it with Linux through USB memory stick and trying it out for 4 hours I gave up on Linux and wanted to switch back to Windows 10 for what I'm going to use it for, but now there is suddenly a Super Visor Password in the BIOS that I don't remember putting there. So I can't turn off Secure Boot and can't then boot the PC up with Windows 10. So I can only go into BIOS in Read-Only mode, but can't change anything. I've read that there may be a BIOS battery that I have to unplug, but I don't know if thats right for this model. My question then is, how can I reset my BIOS completely? and remove the stupid SuperVisor Password?

Options

2 Posts

03-24-2020

NO

1 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 2 of 3

Re:Lenovo TP L460: Locked Out of BIOS

2020-03-24, 12:35 PM

I did find one battery on the inside of the laptop yesterday before I went to bed and I unplugged the battery to see if the BIOS would get resetted, it sadly didn't work so I'm not sure what this battery does then.

Options

13 Posts

06-30-2018

GB

14 Signins

152 Page Views

• Views: 152
  • Message 3 of 3

Re:Lenovo TP L460: Locked Out of BIOS

2020-03-30, 14:28 PM

CMOS Battery gives 'backup power' to CMOS (Complementary Metal Oxide Semiconductor) of a computer to keep some parameter values, eg: RTC (Real Time Clock). These primary parameters shall be used when the system gets booted again. Many computers use CMOS memory to hold current time and date

Only way to reset the bios password is to replace the system board, this is a security feature from Lenovo, in case your machine is lost / stolen . I have a number of L470's & L480 with forgotten bios password, using them for spares, as that is all they are useful for

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms