Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: L, R and SL series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

06-18-2021

Germany

2 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 1 of 3

Missing drivers during Windows install

2021-06-18, 14:06 PM

I just got a ThinkPad L15 Gen 1 AMD and I want to install Windows 10 on it (it's the EDU model that comes without a pre-installed OS).

However, when I load the Windows installer from my USB 3.0 stick, I always get the message that media drivers are missing.

I tried different Windows ISOs, different formatting of the stick (GPT vs MBR, FAT32 vs NTFS), different BIOS/UEFI settings, and also downloading drivers from the support page and loading them in the installer. Nothing seems to work.

Any ideas what I do wrong or what drivers could be missing (and where I'd get them)?

Thanks!

Options

1194 Posts

05-14-2020

United States of America

499 Signins

6170 Page Views

• Views: 6170
  • Message 2 of 3

Re:Missing drivers during Windows install

2021-06-19, 9:03 AM

Hello,

Have you tried downloading the latest .iso installation image from Microsoft.com?   Then only use the tool from Microsoft to install or "burn" the installation usb.   Also check the source for your installation image, not all versions of microsoft are transferrable to different PC, perhaps the specific image you are trying to load is linked to a different device, and blocked from unauthorized installation.  Microsoft has specific methods for transferring from prior machines to subsequent machines. and sometimes an image can only be used a specific number of times.  Consult Microsoft for the details.

Sincerely,

Usedtoberich

Options

2 Posts

06-18-2021

Germany

2 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 3 of 3

Re:Missing drivers during Windows install

2021-06-19, 11:06 AM

Thanks for the reply!

I actually managed to install Windows now. It really seems the USB 3.0 driver was missing. I found an old 4 GB USB 2.0 drive, downloaded an old version of Windows 10 and trimmed it using MSMG Toolkit to fit onto the 4 GB drive, and installed it from there. Afterward, I  upgraded Windows to the newest version. So all is up and running now. 🙂

But maybe someone knows where to find that missing USB 3.0 driver, so it's easier to do a fresh install at some point in the future.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms