Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit our eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: L, R and SL series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

05-06-2008

New York, NY

3 Signins

80 Page Views

• Views: 80
  • Message 1 of 5

PCMCIA Support on ThinkPad R61

2008-05-06, 18:45 PM
I've encountered an interesting case on my new ThinkPad R61.  It comes with one PC-Card slot, which purportedly supports PCMCIA (16-bit) and CardBus (32-bit); however, it appears only to support CardBus.  This would be "okay," except for the fact that a GemPC400 card reader (component 31P8904 / FRU 41N3007) was offered and ordered when loading out my system.

So.  Diagnostics:

When I insert CardBus (32-bit) cards into my R61, they are recognized.  When I insert the same cards into my T23, they are recognized.
When I insert PCMCIA (16-bit) cards into my R61, they are unrecognized.  When I insert the same cards into my T23, they are recognized.
When I insert my GemPC400 into my R61, it is unrecognized.  When I insert the same card into my T23, it is recognized.  Which makes sense, considering the GemPC400 is a PCMCIA card.

I conclude, therefore, that the R61 doesn't actually support PCMCIA.  And that Lenovo probably shouldn't offer the GemPC as an optional card for the R61, or any other system using the Ricoh R5C847 chipset, which is responsible for -- among other things -- providing PC-Card support.

Am I off base here?  Is there an R61 user that can support the GemPC400 or other PCMCIA card?  Now, this is probably the kind of thing they can fix in a firmware update.  But for the time being, I've got a fifty dollar item that I can't use in my new system.  And that makes me sad. :smileysad:
Options

2 Posts

05-15-2008

Oregon, US

11 Signins

78 Page Views

• Views: 78
  • Message 2 of 5

Re: PCMCIA Support on ThinkPad R61

2008-05-16, 11:01 AM
I just received my R61 which has the combination PC card slot for one PCMCIA and one Express Card.
The express works fine,  PCMCIA cards (Sony GC79) when inserted are not recognized at all.  Card works fine on my other laptop.  Search for new hardware finds nothing.   Both systems are Windows XP.

I did borrow a PCMCIA from a friend.  It started to recognize it then went to bluescreen.

I'm looking for ideas, solutions, or next course of action.

Thanks.
Options

2 Posts

05-22-2008

United States of America

3 Signins

46 Page Views

• Views: 46
  • Message 3 of 5

2008-05-22, 21:50 PM
This same Issue is happening on a T61 with a Ricoh R/RL/5C476 CardBus Controller.  Called Lenovo Support and in return got "There is someone here who uses this same setup, I'll check with him"  ...never heard back.

I am calling tech support again tomorrow to see if  can get this resolved.
Options

2 Posts

05-15-2008

Oregon, US

11 Signins

78 Page Views

• Views: 78
  • Message 4 of 5

2008-05-23, 5:34 AM
Thanks and good luck.

I also called  tech support yesterday and got a "nonsensical" answer, at least to me.
She said "just copy the adapter icon from the computer that works to the R61".
So they opened a case and I left it with I'll try it and get back to you.

The network card that I'm trying to get to work is a Sony/Erricson 32 bit PC Card.

Larry
Options

2 Posts

05-22-2008

United States of America

3 Signins

46 Page Views

• Views: 46
  • Message 5 of 5

2008-05-23, 13:11 PM
I also spoke with support last night.  I referred them to this post as well as a much more indepth post regarding T61's with the same Ricoh CardBus controllers.  http://forums.lenovo.com/lnv/board/message?board.id=T_Series_Thinkpads&message.id=5186&query.id=11868#M5186

They escalated the issue to engineering, apparently. I'm awaiting a response from them. 

The card I am trying to use is a 5V 16bit GemPC Smart Card Reader.  This card was suggested by Lenovo.  When I plug it in, I get nothing.  This is the second T61 (Same Ricoh chipset) that the card has failed on.  The same card works without a problem on a 3yr old R51 (not sure of the PCMCIA Controller)

I'll keep this board informed when I hear any news.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms