Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: L, R and SL series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

21 Posts

04-15-2008

Bangalore, India

42 Signins

390 Page Views

• Views: 390
  • Message 1 of 6

Questions on new R61

2008-04-15, 7:23 AM
Hi,
I recently purchased a R61 (T7250, 2 Ghz, 800 Mhz FSB, 2 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD, BT DVD RW).
It indeed is a very nice laptop to have ....

But I have few questions:
1. In case of failure to startup, how do I restore my laptop to original factory image?

2. In Q.1,, what if the hard drive itself has gone bad? How can I create and use these Recovery CD/DVDs to restore the factory image on the hard drive again?

3. The Hard drive is one huge 160 GB ... but only 142 GB is available. Is it recommneded to create partitions to boost performance? or is one large C drive is okay?

4. The volume on the laptop is really low ...... any tips to boost up the volume from the sepakers?

Thanks in advance,
Suddha Satta Ray
Options

302 Posts

12-12-2007

Germany, near Hamburg

310 Signins

8837 Page Views

• Views: 8837
  • Message 2 of 6

Re: Questions on new R61

2008-04-15, 12:00 PM
Welcome to the forum!

1. You have to build system restore DVDs/CDs from the service partition with the help of the ThinkVantage menu entry (do a search here in the forum for how to do this in detail), so you have a set of recovery CDs which you can use when in trouble. - When in accident and your harddisk system restore partition still works and is not corrupted or the like, you can also use the blue ThinkVantage button to restore to the factory defaults. - However, it is always a good and safe idea to also build early a set of system restore CDs/DVDs.
  2. See the above point and take a look here on the flash video etc. which explains some of the ThinkVantage rescue and recovery capabilities. Also perform a search on the forum for those topics, it has been already addressed and explaines several times.
  3. This depends on your personal taste, how you work and/or intend to perform backups and the like. - Personally I always prefer on  capacity rich harddisks to have at least two partitions C and D, where C is the main system partition and D is the one where I install own apps, store data and so on. This way you can better distinguish between the system and own added data, further it eases the backup of system vs. user data related harddisk contents. - A performance boost is not to be expected for having several partitions vs. just one partition, so from this point of view it doesn't matter if you have just one or more partitions on a harddisk. - However, you also can leave just one big C partition if you personally prefer it this way.
  4. Go through the audio troubleshooting section here and look if it helps and fixes your problem or not. - If not just repost here and we look further if we can help to fix this.

ThinkPad T60/X32/600/770 · IBM IntelliStation · 3x IBM SpaceSaver II

Options

21 Posts

04-15-2008

Bangalore, India

42 Signins

390 Page Views

• Message 3 of 6

2008-04-15, 12:14 PM
Hi,

The response was indeed really helpful.
Thanks a lot again!!

Suddha Satta Ray
Options

21 Posts

04-15-2008

Bangalore, India

42 Signins

390 Page Views

• Message 4 of 6

2008-04-16, 5:53 AM
Hi,

I require some expert advice on the creation of rescue and recovery discs.

Yesterday, I tried creating the rescue and recovery DVD discs from Thinkvantage -
Rescue and Recovery application.

Initially I inserted a blank DVD-RW and launched the Rescue and Recovery application.
The first DVD disc was created as a boot disc and I was prompted to label this disc as
'Rescue and Recovery - Startup Disk'. After that, I took out this disc and inserted another blank
DVD-RW disc as prompted.

Then after some time, I was prompted to label this second disc as 'RC1' or something similar (I dont
remember the exact name). I was again prompted to enter another blank disc.

Unfortunately at this point, I had ran out of blank DVDs/CDs and could not insert any disc.

Sadly, I had no other option but cancel the dialog boxes, which eventually cancelled the
backup process itself.

Questions:
--------------------------------
[MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION] Q1. - Can I still use "only" the startup boot DVD disc
labeled as 'Rescue and Recovery - Startup Disk' to recover my R61 to factory image in
case of hard drive crash in the future?

Q2. Can I start the whole process over again with more blank DVDs beside me?

Q3. How may DVDs (4.6 GB) would it require to complete the whole backup process?
This is a new R61 with hardly any personal data.

Thanks in advance,
Suddha Satta Ray
Options

18 Posts

01-01-2011

Gahanna, OH

84 Signins

203 Page Views

• Views: 203
  • Message 5 of 6

2011-01-07, 18:59 PM

Late to the party, but oh well ...

Standard marketing for hard disk size is to take the number of bytes and to divide by factors of 1000 to get to gigabytes. Your computer, however, when calculating gigs, divides by factors of 1024.  Thus, one K is 1024 bytes, and a meg  is  1048576 bytes and a gig is 1073741824 bytes.  Take your  160000000 and divide by that and you get 149 gigs. There is usually a small amount of space that can't be used for whatever reason(s), thus reducing the total number of gigs to 142.  In this case, the drive has additional partition(s) containing the rescue and recovery system and the system restore disk creation system, easily accounting for the additional 7 gigs.

Options

1220 Posts

12-24-2010

Perth, Australia

259 Signins

21576 Page Views

• Views: 21576
  • Message 6 of 6

2011-01-08, 8:23 AM

Hello mate,

You need the same space as your lenovo recovery partition. Around 3 DVD.

But now the problem for you is the process can be done just once.  You could still try to do it again but i'm not sure it will be working again. And if you don't have all the discs you can't reinstall your system if your HDD fails. The only way after that is to order some discs to lenovo. They might be around $50 with the postage.

__________________________________________________________________________________

Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves, or we know where we can find information on it.

ThinkPad T510 4313-CTO Windows 8 x64 - Intel Core i7-620M - NVIDIA NVS 3100M - 8GB RAM - 240GB SSD- Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 - Gobi 2000.
ThinkPad Helix 3697-CTO Windows 8.1 x64 - Intel Core i7-3667U - Intel HD Graphics 4000 - 8GB RAM- 256GB SSD - Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 - Ericsson C5621gw

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms