Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit our eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: L, R and SL series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

05-27-2008

Fort Collins, CO

3 Signins

24 Page Views

• Views: 24
  • Message 1 of 4

R52: Wireless Card Dead?

2008-05-27, 6:27 AM
Greetings all-

I have a ThinkPad R52 (1847-CTO), that originally came with Windows XP Professional. While running it awhile back, the wireless just quit working out of the blue. I do consider myself computer-literate and did all the obvious things such as making sure I had all the latest Windows Updates, as well as all the updates from ThinkVantage System Update.

I thought perhaps the driver had been corrupted and so I went to the downloads site at Lenovo support and downloaded what I thought was the appropriate driver for the wireless unit in my machine. Installed it and it make absolutely no difference.

Following this, I backed up all of my data, completely erased the hard drive and rebuilt the computer. I got all the appropriate drivers back and installed for the ThinkPad, down to the ones that drive the little blue "Access IBM" button and the volume controls. However, upon successful system rebuild (and update installation) the wireless still failed to work.

I have since upgraded the machine to Windows Vista Business Edition (Service Pack 1), again with all the latest updates and still have no wireless. When I look under the "Network adapters" drop-down in Device Manager, all I'm seeing now is: "Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet." <-- which is my hard-wired ethernet port which is working properly. The wireless port isn't even showing up now.

I'm on the go almost all of the time and with the wireless just dead it pretty much makes this machine worthless to me. Any ideas that anyone might have would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.
Regards,

Chris
IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad R52 [1847-CTO]
Windows Vista Business Edition (Service Pack 1)

...I much prefer my Mac.
Options

7651 Posts

11-24-2007

USA

5818 Signins

103093 Page Views

• Views: 103093
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: R52: Wireless Card Dead?

2008-05-27, 12:06 PM
Welcome to the forum!

Try downloading or borrowing a copy of a "live" Linux CD and booting from it. If Linux sees your card, you have a software issue within Windows, if it doesn't you'll have to replace the card which isn't too difficult using the HMM...

Good luck and let us know.
Cheers,

George

In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410

Collecting dust: T60

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
Options

3 Posts

05-27-2008

Fort Collins, CO

3 Signins

24 Page Views

• Views: 24
  • Message 3 of 4

2008-05-27, 23:23 PM
George,

Thank you for your prompt response, I greatly appreciate it. Now not being a "Linux" man myself, save for my Unix-based Mac OS X (10.5.2) machine - I know nothing of the platform except that it has terms such as the following associated with it: "Redhat," "Free BSD," "Mandrake" ... my suspicions would be that these are various types of Linux.

Where might I go about downloading this? I know there are probably 40 million sites that offer free Linux with a heck of a lot of gimmicks- any that you would recommend off the top of your head? Any particular version of Linux you think would be best for an idiot-Linux user such as myself?

Thanks Again,

Chris
Regards,

Chris
IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad R52 [1847-CTO]
Windows Vista Business Edition (Service Pack 1)

...I much prefer my Mac.
Options

7651 Posts

11-24-2007

USA

5818 Signins

103093 Page Views

• Views: 103093
  • Message 4 of 4

2008-05-28, 1:03 AM

Here you go:

www.linuxmint.com

I personally use Daryna 4.0 but most of them should be able to instantly detect your card if it's still alive...

Good luck and let us know.

Cheers,

George

In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410

Collecting dust: T60

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms