South Florida

4 Signins

30 Page Views

• Views: 30
  • Message 1 of 6

R60: Won't turn on- I need my files!

2008-05-26, 16:37 PM
Hello-
I have an R60 that I've had for about 2 years now. It's got one more year left on its warrenty.
About 3 months ago, I was using it at the library with no problems. I hibernated it, as I always do, took it home, and found it wouldn't turn on. I get the boot menu (none of the options are successful in booting the machine) and then, when it tries to boot, I get a blue screen of death. I ran the diagnostic on my hard drive and it said everything with that was fine.

I spoke to an IBM rep a few days later, who told me my files were okay so long as my hard drive came back clear. I sent in my laptop to IBM and requested my hard drive not be restored (I need my files!). They sent it back a day later claiming they couldn't do anything without erasing my hard drive, which I'm skeptical about. Is there anything I can do to recover my files? If the laptop doesn't work afterwards, so be it. I'm getting a new one soon anyway, but I really really need the files on my old one.

I had a similar problem with my Compaq about 3 years back. I was able to remove the hard drive and place it in a casing that made it so I could run it as an external via USB. The connectors for the IBM hard drive are different though, so I can't use the case I use for my Compaq hard drive. Are there any similar products out there that work for an IBM hard drive?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Options

7 Posts

05-26-2008

Winchester UK

6 Signins

144 Page Views

• Views: 144
  • Message 2 of 6

Re: R60: Won't turn on- I need my files!

2008-05-26, 16:53 PM
If you can attach an external floppy drive or cd and find a bootable DOS floppy or cd  you may be able to run CHKDSK from the floppy or cd and this may fix your problem. Don't know of any adapters which will attach laptop harddrive to another machine but hey may exist....Maplins have a USB 2.0 to IDE/SATA adapter which may allow you to attach your drive to another computer and run CHKDSK from the command line.  
Options

4 Posts

05-25-2008

Canada

5 Signins

99 Page Views

• Views: 99
  • Message 3 of 6

2008-05-26, 18:26 PM
I never, ever allow a system to be shipped for service without  backing up the files.   It's almost guaranteed that the service staff will place little to no value on your data and will just destroy the data.

If you've shipped that system, get it back,  or have them install a brand-new hard disk and send you the old one back.   It's extremely easy to recover files - get a $15 USB2 drive case, attach the drive to it, plug that into a working XP or Vista system and copy the files.   At most, you have to Take Ownership,   It's hard for it to be easier.

As to the connectors being different - many systems using ATA drives (with the pins) used a header that just pressed onto the pins.   The drives are the same, you just take the header off.

USB2 drive cases are extremely common now and cheap.   two things to note, one is that you have to use the appropriate type, SATA or IDE - pins or no pins.    The second is that for laptop drives, these come with a three-headed cable,  beacuse a single USB port cannot provide enough power for a hard disk.  Plug in the two larger USB connectors to two different USB ports on your system, then attach the hard disk. 

HTH
-pk
Options

9380 Posts

11-27-2007

Slovakia

15518 Signins

2040239 Page Views

• Views: 2040239
  • Message 4 of 6

2008-05-26, 18:39 PM
Pogaf, welcome to the forum,

as other members have suggested you should purchase / borrow an S-ATA usb caddy in order to copy your files from the hard drive. If you have access to a PC which has S-ATA you will be able to connect the drive internally without a caddy as the connectors are the same size.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Options

3 Posts

05-26-2008

South Florida

4 Signins

30 Page Views

• Views: 30
  • Message 5 of 6

2008-05-26, 21:47 PM
Thanks to all; I appreciate the replies!
I went to Best Buy and bought a stand for it that reads SATA hard drives. Plugged it in and... my other computer couldn't read it. I get the "File or Directory is Corrupted and Unreadable". Great... anything I can run that'll fix it? Everytime I scanned it while it was in my laptop, the diagnosic came back clean.
Options

9380 Posts

11-27-2007

Slovakia

15518 Signins

2040239 Page Views

• Views: 2040239
  • Message 6 of 6

2008-05-27, 6:42 AM
In some similar situations I have been able to copy files by downloading and booting from a Knoppix cd.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms