Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: L, R and SL series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

10-15-2014

California

14 Signins

133 Page Views

• Views: 133
  • Message 1 of 1

R61 will not power on, no beeps or POST

2014-10-15, 2:19 AM

My R61 only blinks green power / amber battery for a second and will not turn on.  No beep, no POST.

Recently the original battery in the R61 went from about 60% capacity to 3% capacity overnight.  Since I had purchased used, I suspected the generic power supply I had bought about a year ago when I got the R61.  I ordered an authentic Lenovo power supply, but still got only 3%.  All was well since I was using the Thinkpad plugged in to the Lenovo power supply (also worked with generic) but about three days ago the laptop would not power on.

My roomate suggested that the bad battery might be to blame and that I should try it without the battery.  I tried it, but still only get green power / amber battery lights for a second and then it shuts down.  I have already tried the 10 power button pushing with 30 sec hold after and no response.  I just re-set the RAM and back-up battery (also 1 yr. old) to make sure they had not been jostled loose.

Would a new battery help or is the R61 damaged?  Don't have much cash, so don't want the possibly damaged R61 to ruin a new battery.  Any ideas or is my best bet to buy another R61 / T61 and make use of my RAM, DVD, and HDD?

P.S. I know there are similiar threads already, but none have a solutions and they are about 3 yrs. old.

Thinkpad R61-Product # 7733-11U - 2.0 GHz C2D Centrino / 4GB RAM / 80GB HD / Intel 965 / Intel WIFI / BT / DVD/CD-RW / 1280x800 / WXGA / Win 8.1 / elementary OS Luna
Thinkpad X40 Model # 2371-8EU-niece's new toy
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms