Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: L, R and SL series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

01-09-2010

Baltimore

11 Signins

85 Page Views

• Views: 85
  • Message 1 of 4

R61i wireless quits after some time

2010-01-09, 17:25 PM

89329XU  Windows XP Pro SP 3: After a few minutes the wireless adapter turns off and removes itself from the system. Trying to start the wireless selection from ThinkVantage Productivity Center will not open that capability. When I reboot it starts again and then dies in less time. Have others experienced this problem?

A few minutes after the wireless symbol turns off there is a report that there are no wireless, bluetooth or * adapters. Is this likely to be software problems or hardware related? Suggestions about fixes would be appreciated

Options

1041 Posts

03-10-2009

Michigan

1453 Signins

21182 Page Views

• Views: 21182
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: R61i wireless quits after some time

2010-01-13, 2:32 AM

Hi ronmiller,

Welcome to the Lenovo forum! :smileyhappy:

Thank you for posting your ThinkPad's model type number. ltwbook indicates that your R61i does not have Bluetooth, and has Intel 3945ABG wireless. It sounds to me as if there may be a hardware problem -- perhaps the wireless card is not making good contact with its mini-PCIe socket. You could try removing and then re-installing the wireless card in order to re-seat it in its socket and hopefully improve its connection. The Hardware Maintenance Manual (pdf available for download from Lenovo Service website) has instructions, and you can watch video at:

http://www.lenovoservicetraining.com/ion/

You could also try burning and booting from the PC Doctor CD (also from Lenovo Service site) and running all the tests to check your ThinkPad for hardware problems.

Good luck!

-Frank

---------

Results of Your Ideal Business-Class Laptop survey, concluded 2009-07-29.

Did someone help you?
Say thanks! with a kudo.
Even better: Pay it forward, help someone else. :smileyhappy:
Options

3 Posts

01-09-2010

Baltimore

11 Signins

85 Page Views

• Views: 85
  • Message 3 of 4

2010-01-14, 19:10 PM

Thanks for that suggestion. It had occurred to me to try that, but I hadn't done it yet. Now I've done and run for two and a half hours without losing the connection when working on a desk. It is possible that using the computer on my lap sets up some stresses which make the wi fi cut out, but that will be tried a different time.

It is wonderful to get some actual response to a particular question beyond reinstalling Windows.

Options

1041 Posts

03-10-2009

Michigan

1453 Signins

21182 Page Views

• Views: 21182
  • Message 4 of 4

2010-01-14, 21:06 PM

Hi ronmiller,

Congrats on fixing your ThinkPad! :smileyhappy:

And thanks for reporting back how you fixed your problem.

And we should say: Kudos to Lenovo for making it fairly easy to work on these machines (for a notebook). Good design + excellent documentation (HMM + training videos) are hard to beat.

Happy ThinkPadding,

Frank

---------

Results of Your Ideal Business-Class Laptop survey, concluded 2009-07-29.

Did someone help you?
Say thanks! with a kudo.
Even better: Pay it forward, help someone else. :smileyhappy:
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms