Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: L, R and SL series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

11-25-2020

Germany

2 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 1 of 4

Reinstalling Windows

2020-11-25, 0:50 AM

Dear all,

I wanted to dual boot Ubuntu on my L480, upon installation I messed up and wiped the disk. I have thus been using Ubuntu exclusively for the past months and been very happy with it. However, certain software I now need to use does not run on anything other than Windows. How would I go about reinstalling Windows? In particular, I am interested in how to find the Windows 10 key on my laptop, or how else to activate the installation. I can of course not disclose the serial number publicly, but have it if required.

Thank you for your help!

Best,

ATasan

Options

123 Posts

09-24-2017

China

145 Signins

1268 Page Views

• Views: 1268
  • Message 2 of 4

Re:Reinstalling Windows

2020-11-25, 1:55 AM

You should take your PC to the service center and then let the technical engineer to install Windows system.

And since you buy it with Ubuntu, you may need to pay for the license fee if you need to activate the Windows system.

If you have any quesitons pls let me know.  If it can resolve your question, pls mark it as a solution. 

Options

9370 Posts

01-13-2008

United States of America

78101 Signins

2244355 Page Views

• Views: 2244355
  • Message 3 of 4

2020-11-25, 1:57 AM

As long as you reinstall the same version of Windows 10 that was previously running the key should be detected automatically.

You can get a Lenovo install image here:  https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht103653  (I believe your laptop qualifies)

Or a Microsoft "clean" image here:  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Options

2 Posts

11-25-2020

Germany

2 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 4 of 4

2020-11-25, 2:01 AM

Hey Z., thanks for the reply. That sounds great. (By same version I take it as meaning Pro vs Normal for instance.) I'll try that tomorrow or the day after. Thanks again! :)

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms