12-27-2007

Montreal

26 Signins

160 Page Views

• Views: 160
  • Message 1 of 3

Startup Issues with R60

2008-02-18, 12:34 PM
I bought my girlfriend an R60 last year. Over the last few months it has slowed down considerably, taking 10 minutes or more to fully boot up, and now whenever she starts it she gets a blue screen of death after she logs in, and the machine reboots. Once it does that it seems to be fine, although still pretty slow -- it's a dual core machine and yet it runs noticeably more slowly than my T42. We've done complete virus scans, Lenovo System Update, Windows and Office Updates, and PC Doctor scans to no avail, and have not been able to diagnose the problem. We got one error message referring to a device driver but it didn't say which driver was at issue. Short of doing a complete system restore, any suggestions?

Edited to add that her computer is running XP, not Vista.

Message Edited by bhurley on 02-18-2008 04:39 AM
Options

441 Posts

11-21-2007

US

449 Signins

19554 Page Views

• Views: 19554
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: Startup Issues with R60

2008-02-18, 20:10 PM
You could drive yourself nuts trying to track down what specifically is causing the slowdown, especially as it might be a combination of things.

Just backup her personal files and run the recovery process. Add AdAware to your arsenal of anti-spyware software.
Regards,

James
Options

2342 Posts

03-12-2008

Moscow, Russia

2030 Signins

25103 Page Views

• Views: 25103
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: Startup Issues with R60

2008-03-15, 11:37 AM
If you didn't reinstall the system over years there can be a large bag of garbage inside in both meanings. If it's not overheating then the garbage is not inside laptop but inside windows. Download CCleaner and after making backup of all data use it in proper way this program is developed for =) Never had any problem with this program, but however you must be sure in everything beforehand. It's surprising fact how much of garbage can windows collect till the year.
Also try download program Autoruns (by Sysinternals - could be found on Microsoft.com or by google)- it helps to detect what is launched during Windows start. Helped me plenty times - can remove different integrated modules in IE and disallow launch of different malware and unwanted programs. Be careful about what you're swithing off by this program - you must be sure in what you're doing. NEVER touch there anything marked as "provider=Microsoft" if you aren't a power user.

Luck =)

P.S. Using hibernation instead of turning off can save you 10 minutes of system boot and resolve many other problems. I always hibernate - shut down for me is extraordinar case.

Message Edited by skripatch on 03-15-2008 02:39 PM
//help will save the world
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms