Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: L, R and SL series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

16 Posts

03-06-2021

Ukraine

9 Signins

95 Page Views

• Views: 95
  • Message 1 of 6

ThinkPad L14 BIOS: Always On USB incorrent work

2021-04-08, 6:11 AM

Hi,

Have an issue with ThinkPad L14 Gen1 (20U50007RT). When laptop is turned off, battery is discharged if the USB cable is connected (for example USB Hub 2.0 from Dell 2412 monitor or even charging USB Type-C cable ). No voltage is applied to USB ports, but battery is constantly discharged per 5..8% per 12 hours.

Disabled "Always On USB" setting via BIOS/Vantage service does not help. Helps for me to physically disconnect USB cables from the left side and only then everything is fine with battery level at turn off state.

All BIOS settings by default.

BIOS version: R19ET33W (1.17)

By my opinion that this is another bug in the BIOS in additional to my previous request - https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-L-R-and-SL-series-Laptops/ThinkPad-L14-BIOS-Power-On-Password-didn-t-work/m-p/5074041

This is the first time I come across tohubohu with incorrect BIOS working.

Please advice.

Thanks!

Options

2282 Posts

03-11-2020

Greece

249 Signins

11666 Page Views

• Views: 11666
  • Message 2 of 6

Re:ThinkPad L14 BIOS: Always On USB incorrent work

2021-04-08, 8:53 AM

Hi SergiiS,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Have you tried disabling "Always On USB" in the BIOS ?  Please see the User Guide for which USB-C ports are "Always On USB" and what they do. 

Step 1. System Board Updates.

Make sure you have the newest BIOS and Chipset drivers for your device:
You can find and install the newest drivers from the Lenovo Support Page
Just plot in the serial number of the device, click the search icon and select your device, then head to Drivers & Software, select Manual Update, then select the BIOS and Chipset section
Right click the files in question and select "Run as Administrator".
**Note: Make sure the AC adapter is connected and that you have at least 30% battery charge when performing BIOS updates. Do not turn off the device while the BIOS update is running as this can cause serious damage to the motherboard and prevent the device from functioning properly or at all.

If nothing works, then it could definitely be a bug or a problem with Lenovo Vantage not correctly turning it off, but turning it off in BIOS should supersede this. 

In case it is a Vantage supersede issue/bug, try the following:

Step 2. Uninstall Lenovo Vantage Service & Lenovo Vantage from Apps. 
1. Press Windows Icon + X.
2. Open Device Manager. Find --> System devices --> System Interface Foundation V2 Device. Right-click and select "Uninstall Device".
3. Reinstall Lenovo Vantage from the Windows store.
4. Launch Lenovo Vantage. The service will be installed automatically.
5.  If it does not install automatically , you can download Lenovo System Interface Foundation from here and then install it manually.

Step 3. Download Vantage
Download Lenovo Vantage from the Windows Store here 
or try the Enterprise version found here  

Step 4. Vantage Services.
Check for the latest Vantage Service drivers (if available for the device) on the Support Page.
Just plot in the serial number for your device and hit enter, might have to hit it twice. Then head to Drivers & Software then Software & Utilities.

Regards

Voithos

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them with a Kudos!!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Please don't ask me questions by Private Message; questions belong in the forums.

Options

16 Posts

03-06-2021

Ukraine

9 Signins

95 Page Views

• Message 3 of 6

2021-04-08, 9:08 AM

Hi Voithos,

All drivers/BIOS is up-to-date.

Have you tried disabling "Always On USB" in the BIOS ?  Please see the User Guide for which USB-C ports are "Always On USB" and what they do. 

- Yes and yes... I already check User Guide.But please note that battery is discharged even USB cable is connected (USB Type-A or USB Type-C) only from ONE side.

Thanks!

Options

209 Posts

07-30-2019

China

213 Signins

2655 Page Views

• Views: 2655
  • Message 4 of 6

2021-04-09, 7:57 AM

Hi SergiiS

Our internal team development engineer is investigating the problem now, will keep you posted. Thanks. 

@ SergiiS wrote:

Hi Voithos,

All drivers/BIOS is up-to-date.

- Yes and yes... I already check User Guide.But please note that battery is discharged even USB cable is connected (USB Type-A or USB Type-C) only from ONE side.

Thanks!

Options

16 Posts

03-06-2021

Ukraine

9 Signins

95 Page Views

• Message 5 of 6

2021-04-09, 8:18 AM

Hi Davey

By my opinion this is software issue and possible related to my different request

I will provide more details at this weekend - videos, reset bios to default settings, revert to different BIOS versions, etc

Thanks!

Options

209 Posts

07-30-2019

China

213 Signins

2655 Page Views

• Views: 2655
  • Message 6 of 6

2021-04-28, 6:32 AM

Hi Sergii

If Always on USB and Charge in Battery mode enabled in BIOS setup, Type C port will have power when system is shutdown, this is expected behavior.  System does not enter complete shutdown if fast startup is enabled, battery will consume a few percentage overnight in system default setting, so please turn off fast startup in OS and test again. Thanks.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms