Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: L, R and SL series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

02-08-2021

Slovakia

4 Signins

55 Page Views

• Views: 55
  • Message 1 of 3

ThinkPad L480 NVMe upgrade problem

2021-02-12, 9:18 AM

Hello, I am solving a peculiar problem, bought lenovo L480 with sata disk cage connected to sata port, wanted to upgrade for better speeds so I bought nvme drive, order a cage/tray online, but alas, to my surprise, when i replaced the standard sata tray with nvme tray and connected to proper port, the bios detected nothing, no disk. and I am at a loss as to a reason why. maybe i missed a step.
I used this tutorial for the upgrade:
https://www.insidemylaptop.com/taking-apart-lenovo-thinkpad-l480-type-20ls-20lt/
this is the nvme tray I used for replacement:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324423826032
and this is the cable I used to connect the tray with MB:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33038238175.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.6eb94c4dV8Z9x3

here is a gallery with some pics i took, bios info, nvme disk used and pics of the tray and where i connected it (old tray was connected to the sata port below the port marked as "MB")
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/123OheOt4a_cwwxg-ltXmQy8yycY4_RaO?usp=sharing
last 3 pics in the gallery is the original cable that came with the nvme tray, which did not fit into the MB, so I had to order a different cable, linked above.
I found some PCIE diagnostic in bios and everything was ok "pass".
I know this is a very specific problem, but if someone troubleshooted similar problem with lenovo laptops, I would appreciate any help. Thanks in advance for any info. Best regards.

When I start the laptop with the nvme disk, I get "2100 detection error on hdd0" but that seems to be a broad error, not a specific one. either the cable is damaged, either the tray or even the disk itself (the disk works in another laptop)

Options

2116 Posts

03-11-2020

Greece

230 Signins

10836 Page Views

• Views: 10836
  • Message 2 of 3

Re:ThinkPad L480 NVMe upgrade problem

2021-02-12, 10:04 AM

Hi reteping,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

In the PSREF document for the device it says this device already comes with a 256GB 2280 M.2 NVMe SSD. Why the need to change trays and cables ? That cable is for M.2 SATA, it has no mention of NVMe capability, and since NVMe is a special way of communicating with the motherboard for the use of procuring the PCIe lanes for Data transfer, I doubt that cable or tray will even work. 

These are the .pdf storage specs for the L480:

System has one HDD slot or one M.2 2280 slot exclusively for storage
Some: HDD / SATA 6.0Gb/s, 2.5" wide, 7mm high, Active Protection System
Some: SSD / SATA 6.0Gb/s, 2.5" wide, 7mm high (e.g. xxxGB SSD)
Some: M.2 SSD / PCIe NVMe, PCIe 3.0 x 2, 16Gb/s
Some: 128GB M.2 SSD / PCIe NVMe, PCIe 3.0 x 2, 16Gb/s,
in WWAN slot as 2nd Storage, mutually exclusive with WWAN.

Regards

Voithos

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them with a Kudos!!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Please don't ask me questions by Private Message; questions belong in the forums.

Options

2 Posts

02-08-2021

Slovakia

4 Signins

55 Page Views

• Views: 55
  • Message 3 of 3

Re:ThinkPad L480 NVMe upgrade problem

2021-02-12, 11:09 AM

I bought this notebook with 1TB SATA 7200rpm disk.

As you write, you can use 2280 NVMe disk.

There is no connector to connect 2280 NVMe disk directly.

Therefore you need the bracket and the cable to connect NVMe.

And I want to know if my bracket and cable is right.

Thanks

Peter

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms