Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: L, R and SL series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

01-29-2010

USA

3 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 1 of 2

Trouble with CONTRL and SHIFT keys

2010-01-29, 18:02 PM

i am having trouble with my control and shift keys working consistently. it's making cut-n-paste and using caps and alternate characters difficult...i have to pound on letter keys repeatedly to get them to shift to uppercase or alt chars using the shift key. can't cut and paste text using "control + v" which i use reflexively rather than right clicking. (or any other command using control key)

i have had intermittent problems with this for awhile in getting uppercase/shift to work, but a restart usually fixes it. the problem with the control key working only intermittently, or requiring multiple hard presses to get it to work, is new.

any thoughts on fixes. thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jpatrickdowns AT yahoo DOT com

Options

1041 Posts

03-10-2009

Michigan

1453 Signins

21182 Page Views

• Views: 21182
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: Trouble with CONTRL and SHIFT keys

2010-02-10, 2:09 AM

Hi pdowns,

Welcome to the Lenovo forum! :smileyhappy:

If you're still having the problem with your keyboard, I'd recommend:

1. Find your ThinkPad's 7-digit Type-model code from the label on its bottom
  2. Go to the Lenovo support page and enter the Type-model code into the Quick Path box at upper right
  3. Click the Downloads and drivers link
  4. Page through the available downloads until you find the PC Doctor for DOS bootable CD; download PC Doctor and use the "burn image to CD" feature of your CD burning software to make a bootable CD from the downloaded ISO image.
  5. Boot your ThinkPad from the PC Doctor boot CD
  6. You can run all the tests, but in particular run:
  7.   * Diagnostics: System Board: Keyboard
  8.   * Interactive Tests: Keyboard: Keyboard Keys - try a bunch of keys, with and without Shift and Ctrl, and make sure they all register as they should.

The idea of the above is to get any operating system drivers out of the way and see if your hardware is functioning correctly. If all of the above tests pass, maybe reboot from the PC Doctor CD and try them again, since you said the problem can appear/disappear after a reboot. If you see any test failures, then you can be pretty sure you have a hardware problem. It could be either the keyboard itself, or the system board. The keyboard is far cheaper to replace, and is where I'd start. But before doing that, it'd be a good idea to report here exactly which failures you saw; another member may have better advice.

Could you also please post your ThinkPad's Type-model number (step 1 above), as well as what operating system you're running?

If you don't see any errors in the hardware tests above, you may have a software problem. The surefire way to eliminate a software problem is to back up all your data, and then use ThinkVantage Rescue and Recovery to restore your system to its factory state. That's a pretty heavy-handed approach, but it almost always works. There are likely less drastic ways to fix a software problem, depending on what OS you're running. Probably others will have suggestions about that, too.

Good luck, and please let us know how it goes for you,

Frank

---------

Results of Your Ideal Business-Class Laptop survey, concluded 2009-07-29.

Did someone help you?
Say thanks! with a kudo.
Even better: Pay it forward, help someone else. :smileyhappy:
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms