Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: L, R and SL series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

02-16-2009

Malaysia

12 Signins

66 Page Views

• Views: 66
  • Message 1 of 8

Unable to change harddisk password even when I know the password R61i

2009-02-16, 5:57 AM

Hi there,

I am using R61i, have set a harddisk password my notebook. The supervisor and user harddisk password (not power on/bios) is the same. I recently had problems with the system and Lenovo support had changed the motherboard.

The system prompts for hard disk password at startup and it was just working allright after the motherboard change.

But recently when I enter the BIOS screen, the selection to change harddisk password is grayed out.

I know I have entered the supervisor hard disk password.

I really need to remove the hard disk password urgently. I could not find any support link on this.

The Lenovo 1st level support in Malaysia is having problems understanding my problems and keep giving me links on how to access the BIOS screen to change the password when I have told them it is grayed out.

Please help. 

Note: This is not a password recovery request, I did not forget my password. The new motherboard does not allow me to change it.

Options

4 Posts

02-16-2009

Malaysia

12 Signins

66 Page Views

• Message 2 of 8

Re: Unable to change harddisk password even when I know the password R61i

2009-02-17, 6:35 AM

Any help would be appricated. Could not belive Malaysia 1st level support line does not understand my question and forum is not so active with Lenovo experts.

Options

28 Posts

10-04-2008

Malaysia

37 Signins

746 Page Views

• Views: 746
  • Message 3 of 8

2009-02-20, 6:15 AM

hi techguy,

are you in KL/PJ area? You may want to try going to the walk-in centre in Bangunan VADS (the old Menara IBM) in Taman Tun Dr Ismail. Its opposite the Celcom outlet, or down the road from Maxis and Pizza Hut.

I find the techinal people there very friendly and knowledgeble when I had problems with my R61i.

ThinkPad R61i model 7732B7A, upgraded to 2x2gig ram, upgraded to Seagate 320gig HDD
Windows Vista Business 32bit with SP1
Options

4 Posts

02-16-2009

Malaysia

12 Signins

66 Page Views

• Message 4 of 8

2009-03-02, 10:32 AM
nope i am not nearby there.
Options

10 Posts

03-03-2009

USA

15 Signins

314 Page Views

• Views: 314
  • Message 5 of 8

Re: Unable to change hardships password even when I know the password R61i

2009-03-03, 6:07 AM

Hi There,

I am having same problem too with my new TP W500.  I have enabled BitLocker Encryption after I got my laptop and disabled it later. After a while I noticed that HD password option along with the passphrase option in the BIOS got grayed out and I cannot make any changes to the HDD password. I know the password, system is booting up after I enter the HD password but very same password for the same harddrive is not working when I plug the Hard Disk to my TP T60p.

Called Lenovo support in Atlanta but they could not figure it out. They think HD got encrypted eventhough I decrypted with BitLocker and formatted. Also called Hitachi and they don't have any idea about it. I also cleared and turned off the TPM in addition to clearing and disabling the security chip but  non of these actions were helpful to disable KNOWN HD password. I wonder if reflashing the BIOS would solve it.

I would appreciate if anyone has an idea about this issue.

Thanks.

Message Edited by unverusa on 03-02-2009 10:10 PM
Options

5 Posts

12-15-2008

Switzerland

31 Signins

199 Page Views

• Views: 199
  • Message 6 of 8

2010-05-27, 12:15 PM

Hello,

it seems I have a similar problem with a Kingston SSD that was connected to a T61p through an external USB enclosure. It worked fine until the other day, after safe removal and reconnecting, it showed up as an uninitialized disk in the external USB enclosure. Installing it as an internal drive in the ultrabay revealed that somehow, in a way unknown to me a harddisk password had been set. I have never set any harddisk passwords on the machine, only BIOS passwords for booting the machine as well as entering the BIOS setup.

(Luckily, by accident I found out that the harddisk password which is in place actually is an empty string, so I can boot from the SSD by just pressing enter at the harddisk password prompt.)

The BIOS states [USER+MASTER] for Harddisk2, but it is greyed out and thus unchangeable from within the BIOS. Lenovo support told me, that the harddisk password had to be removed in the same way as it had been set, ie. by putting the SSD back into the external USB enclosure. Unfortunately, so far I have not found a tool capable of changing harddisk passwords for external drives. Thus I can only access the data on the drive when it is mounted internally, not when it is connected as an external drive.

Sorry, I don't have any solution or better idea here, but I felt like joining the club of people who have that kind of problem so maybe Lenovo one day deems the issue worth taking a closer look at.

Best wishes,

Volker

Options

9380 Posts

11-27-2007

Slovakia

15518 Signins

2040239 Page Views

• Views: 2040239
  • Message 7 of 8

2010-05-27, 18:59 PM

This may or may not be relevant, but is certainly worth a try if it's not the proceedure you have been using to enter BIOS. In other words, a bit of a guess as the situation does seem puzzling.

As soon as you have started the system, as a cold start, (a totally turned off state), start tapping the F1 key. When prompted for a password you must enter the supervisor password first, other passwords may be required to be entered if they are different to the SV password.

As noone had posted how they were entering BIOS, I felt this might be a factor, hope it helps someone.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Options

10 Posts

06-04-2009

Sydney, Australia

16 Signins

142 Page Views

• Views: 142
  • Message 8 of 8

2010-10-27, 23:04 PM
Just had similar experience with the fleet of W500 we have here...

Assumptions:
1. You have set up HDD password(s)
2. You've moved the HDD to another TP.
3. You can access the content of the HDD with the password you had earlier
4. The HDD password section on the new TP is now greyed out.

Trawling the net yielded very little. Luckily we have a bunch of same TP here so I was able to do some testing... It turns out you can ONLY clear/change the password when the HDD is attached to the same TP that the password was originally set! i.e. once we plugged the HDD back into the original TP the bios option became editable again.

This is not a nice feature as we use the same password across the fleet and move the HDDs around due to repairs etc... You'd think it'll work across the fleet if you had the same supervisor pass etc.....

But at least now we know. Clear the HDD pass before you swap out. But that still leaves you the situation when the mobo is dead and you can use that TP to clear the pass.....

I know Lenovo people don't officially support this place, but can someone with some contact flick this to the right people? For fleet usage this little problem is a dealbreaker.....

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms