Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: L, R and SL series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

2149 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

147 Signins

10850 Page Views

• Views: 10850
  • Message 11 of 13

Re:Windows Desktop Manager (wdm.exe) process high RAM usage in L390

2021-05-13, 16:32 PM

Having this happening both in clean boot and even reset would likely be something expected as explained by our guru on this discussion:
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/Excessive-RAM-Consumtion-issue/m-p/3909185

Regards, 
Lorenzo_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

3 Posts

05-12-2021

Hungary

3 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 12 of 13

2021-05-17, 19:54 PM

@Lorenzo: we are not talking about the same thing. Nobody would argue that Windows itself needs ram - that's normal. But dwm.exe alone using 1-2 gigs or more, growing constantly, is not normal. System slows down, and memory can run out. Not at me as I have 32 gigs, but the more ram dwm.exe is using, the slower the system gets. THAT's what annoys me in the first place.

@DanielCV: well, I don't want to be too quick to draw a conclusion, but here's what I'm seeing so far. I installed the 6290 driver Pedross was suggesting (it's actually another vendor's driver pack for similar hardware). I am using it since 4-5 days and I haven't seen memory consumption of dwm.exe to go above 400MB. With other (newer) drivers I could often see 1-2GB consumption. Also, with 6290, I can see memory consumption to also fluctuate downward, depending on usage - that is, it does not seem to grow uncontrollably.
I am no gamer, so I have no experience with such use cases. Desktop apps however, and videoconferencing, tons of browser windows, office apps of every kind, media players and development tools belong to my "testbed". For this scenario the 6290 seems promising. dwm's consumption is not small, but not unbearable either. I keep using this version for some longer test period. So far it's the best of all driver versions I've tested.

Options

2149 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

147 Signins

10850 Page Views

• Views: 10850
  • Message 13 of 13

2021-05-24, 21:44 PM

Having 32GB ram should really be enough to support such need and different driver version have possible advantage and limit that OEM drivers have certified for the machine.
This may still be a good find as alternative to others, after all such shared efforts are what would make our Community grow outside the box.
Do continue to keep observing and update us back.
Thank you in advance.

Regards, 
Lorenzo_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)