Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: L, R and SL series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

04-23-2020

United States of America

3 Signins

35 Page Views

• Views: 35
  • Message 1 of 3

connecting l380 to monitor with usb-c

2020-04-23, 12:03 PM

Hello, 

I have recently bought a ThinkVision t24m monitor to connect via usb-c with my L380 notebook while charging the notebook at the same time. 

However, I was not able to get a stable connection to the monitor. Sometimes it works well for some time and then the connection just breaks up. After that I am not able to reconnect the computer to the monitor for some time before it works again. I have no devices connected to the monitor, everything is plugged into the computer directly. 

I thought the usb-c port on the machine was designed exactly for that (connecting to monitor while charging), am I wrong? I know, the computer has no thunderbold, that's why I am not using the usb-hub on the monitor.

(edit) I set the maximum charging level to 80% to protect the battery. It seems like this shuts off the connection to the monitor when it stops charging the computer.

I would be very thankful if anybody could share their experiences with connecting a monitor via usb-c. Or if anybody has an idea why this connection doesn't work properly. 

Thanks very much, 

Buxe

Answer
Options

2 Posts

04-23-2020

United States of America

3 Signins

35 Page Views

Re:connecting l380 to monitor with usb-c

2020-04-24, 13:00 PM

To anynone else having trouble with connecting monitors or docs with usb-c: It seems to be a power delivery issue. 

I connected the charger to my computer and connected the monitor via the other usb-c port at the same time. Now that power delivery goes through the charger rather than the usb-c cable from the monitor I am not having any issues. 

This is only a bad workaround since the main selling point of the usb-c ports on the computer and usb-c connecors on monitors is that you only need one cable to connect everything. But it works for now. 

Replies(2)
Answer
Options

2 Posts

04-23-2020

United States of America

3 Signins

35 Page Views

• Message 2 of 3

2020-04-24, 13:00 PM

To anynone else having trouble with connecting monitors or docs with usb-c: It seems to be a power delivery issue. 

I connected the charger to my computer and connected the monitor via the other usb-c port at the same time. Now that power delivery goes through the charger rather than the usb-c cable from the monitor I am not having any issues. 

This is only a bad workaround since the main selling point of the usb-c ports on the computer and usb-c connecors on monitors is that you only need one cable to connect everything. But it works for now. 

1 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

1 Posts

08-30-2021

United States of America

1 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 3 of 3

2021-08-30, 17:29 PM

Just wanted to say thank you for this post. This was perfect and solved my issue. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms