cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lee2016
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,664
Message 1 of 3

After applying "Lenovo updates" to L540, Windows 10 Pro 64, monitor randomly unresponsive

June 18: Reinstall laptop using brand new resintall media fresh from Lenovo:  system is stable ~ 1 week offline

June 27:  Install Windows updates:  system is stable ~ 5 days online

July 2:  Install Lenovo updates (through Lenovo Companion):  system exhibits unresponsive backlit black screen in < 3 days (starting July 4)

I contacted Lenovo support who have deemed this a software issue and therefore can't troubleshoot (because it's hardware support).

Is there any support channel at Lenovo who can help me troubleshoot the bug in THEIR software update?

Edited to add, the Lenovo updates applied:
  • Critical: ThinkPad Dependency, Lenovo Battery Gauge, Lenovo Solution Centre
  • Recommended: Power management driver
  • Optional: Intel LAN adapter, Intel management engine driver, Intel graphics driver, ThinkPad hotkey features integration package, Intel WLAN driver

Lee2016
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,662
Message 2 of 3

Re: After applying "Lenovo updates" to L540, Windows 10 Pro 64, monitor randomly unrespons

More details about the symptoms:

• laptop's screen would goes black (you can see some back-light so the monitor is functioning) and there is NO pointer / cursor.
  • It is intermittent: once a week or so, up to several times a day.
  • Suspending (closing the lid or using the power button) and reactivating restores the system to where it was when the screen went dark
  • Sometimes, waiting 30 minutes or more would take me back to a functional machine.
  • While the screen is dark, I can hear the fan and other noises from the laptop itself.
  • Laptop doesn't shut down, the screen is black (but backlit) and there is no mouse pointer.

• I can use Remote Desktop to connect with the laptop and all of my applications are still open and functioning.  I can log into the laptop (blindly) and type into notepad and then connect with Remote Desktop and see that they keystrokes made it through to the application.

• When I have an external monitor set up, the external monitor functions as it should even when the laptop monitor goes black.

In addition, the screen will randomly "flash" or "blink" for reason I can detect.

MarcinLas
Blue Screen Again
Views: 237
Message 3 of 3

Re: After applying "Lenovo updates" to L540, Windows 10 Pro 64, monitor randomly unrespons

I have the same problem with T500, random shutdown, and then flushing for several seconds. VGA seconds monitor also goes black. 

However I hear sounds e.g. from whatsApp or FB.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors