Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
djbell
What's DOS?
Views: 3,953
Message 1 of 7

Audio/Video, lagging, skipping, poor performance - freezing

Hello,

I have had my SL 510 for a year (warranty just expired) and just last week I found that the Audio and Video performance has declined. Any time I watch any of my video files (that previously worked fine) or listen to music or watch YouTube clips or other online video there is skipping and lagging (sort of the sound a scratched CD makes). Also, at the same time I noticed this problem, the small battery icon in the bottom right corner turned grey with dashes showing the message "Battery Not Installed" even though it is and when I unplug the computer from the wall, it still runs on the battery while the battery icon remains grey. So basically, slow, lagging, skipping audio and visual (also happens sometimes in internet browsing and when I am typing), and the battery icon seems to be malfunctioning.

Can anyone offer any advice or is anyone experiencing similar problems?

Any advice or help is appreciated.

Thanks,

DB

unkthinkpad
Serial Port
Views: 3,931
Message 2 of 7

Re: Audio/Video, lagging, skipping, poor performance - freezing

I'm assuming you have windows 7 installed. Hold down CTRL + SHIFT + ESC and windows task manager will pop up. Hit the Performance tab and it should idle at about 0, maybe 2 percent.

Run a video and keep an eye on the CPU usage. See If it maxes out at 100% from running a video. If it does, click on the Processes tab and sort by CPU and check out what's causing it. This should tell you which process are hogging your resources.

What are the specs on your machine?

Former Administrator
Views: 3,926
Message 3 of 7

djbell,

Try uninstalling and reinstalling the power manager software.   If it isn't recognizing the battery, it may be speed stepping the CPU and GPU to minimize load if it thinks you are only on AC.

Mark

djbell
What's DOS?
Views: 3,925
Message 4 of 7

I'm actually running Windows XP - I ordered it with XP because I had heard of troubles with Vista so I had it downgraded, I also preferred XP at the time.

Intel Core 2 Duo CPU

T5870 @ 2.00 GHz

778 MNz, 2.86GB of RAM

Thanks for the advice, I will try running the Task Manager

djbell
What's DOS?
Views: 3,923
Message 5 of 7

It doesn't Max out playing a video, it hovers around 50%... When I went to processes, the biggest process is SYSTEM Idle... I'm not really sure what that means.
djbell
What's DOS?
Views: 3,919
Message 6 of 7

Hi, I didn't mean to accept as solution, I don't know what that did... anyways, if I uninstall the Power Manager Software, how do I reinstall? Is there a disk? Is it automatically able to be reinstalled on the computer?
unkthinkpad
Serial Port
Views: 3,889
Message 7 of 7

All your software drivers are here.

System idle is in regards to the unused CPU, disregard it.

Now if you 're going to reinstall power management, I suggest you uninstall power manager & power management driver. (in that order). Reboot the computer, then install the power management driver, (it should require a reboot), then install power manager.

I hope this alleviates your stuttering problem.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors