Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: L, R and SL series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

06-27-2009

Germany

3 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 1 of 4

Bios Update failed (R60)

2009-06-27, 19:24 PM

Hello,

I got a bluescreen while updating my bios. This is bad because warranty is only 12 months...

I wonder if there is a way to flash bios again. I have read that on some laptops there is

the possibility to boot from usb floppy by pressing a key combination (for a hp its fn+b) even

when bios is dead. But guess, it didnt work for my thinkpad. Of course i have tried other

combinations but without success. Maybe someone knows the key combination or a way to recover bios

(except for replacing the mainboard, i would rather buy a new laptop).

I have also read that maybe it would be possible to boot if there is a boot block jumper set

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-45385.html

but this is for desktop Lenovos only, i wonder if there is a boot block jumper on the r60 mainboard somewhere???

Regards,

Thomas 

Options

9380 Posts

11-27-2007

Slovakia

15518 Signins

2040239 Page Views

• Views: 2040239
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: Bios Update failed (R60)

2009-06-27, 20:14 PM

heizi, welcome to the forum,

there is unfortunately no boot block recovery for ThinkPads. Your best bet is to contact support on 01805 004618.

Please let us know how you get on.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Options

3 Posts

10-20-2009

Sweden

9 Signins

68 Page Views

• Views: 68
  • Message 3 of 4

2009-10-20, 9:03 AM

Hm.

I'm not so sure about that this is true, even if it's not officially confirmed. 

Have a T400 with a corrupt BIOS.

Have read through a number of threads on Internet and found tha both Phoenix and AMI are using boot block recovery - and I see no reason why IBM/Lenovo shouldn't.The techology has been used for more than 15 years now, is easy to implement and will save $$$ for the manufaturer in case of corruption.

There are different ways of starting the recovery depending of the maker of BIOS, but the routine is to press some keys and have a USB-device with certain files prepared - including the BIOS-file itself. 

The T400 I have is just beeping when powered on. Regardless of action.

BUT - and here it comes - if you press Fn + F while powering on, and have a USB floppy attached - there is no beeps and the machine is trying to boot from the USB-floppy!

The BIOS-file itself is larger then the maximum 1.44MB limit that a floppy can hold, so I assume that there must be another arrangement to get this working; e.g. an bootable USB-stick or drivers for the CD where the BIOS-file can be placed. Etc.

If anyone with a "fried" Thinkpad read this - consider it as a possible way of saving your Thinkpad. I assume that I will take a lot of trial-and-errors befor you can find out whether it works or not, but if you have the time - pls do - and report back to us how you did!

Options

3 Posts

06-27-2009

Germany

3 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 4 of 4

2009-11-25, 8:38 AM

Hello,

if you are lucky, phoenix recovery could work on your thinkpad. here is a link to a (German) thinkpad community website:

http://www.thinkpad-forum.de/thinkpad-hardware/t-serie/p706537-bios-update-fehler-was-tun/#post706537

Seems someone has the same problem as you and solved it by making a bootable usb stick with some

bios files on it.

Here is the same link with google translate:

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=de&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thinkpad-forum.de%2Fthinkpad-hardware%2Ft-serie%2Fp706537-bios-update-fehler-was-tun%2F%23post706537&sl=de&tl=en

Unfortunately my R60 seems to be completely dead, but maybe you have some luck...

cu

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms