Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
capt1124
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 7,024
Message 1 of 7

Blackberry Bluetooth connectivity for SL400

I have an SL400 and a Blackberry 8900, between which I would like to establish Bluetooth connectivity.

I have searched the forums, and spent a lot of time on the phone with my cell service provider, RIM, and only a brief time with Lenovo, because they told me they weren't going to help me and that was that.

What I have been able to figure out-

-Lenovo uses its own Bluetooth software, which is not compatible with Blackberry.

-I need to uninstall the Lenovo Bluetooth software. I have done that.

-I need to install the Microsoft Bluetooth drivers.

What I still don't understand-

-Is the Microsoft driver on the computer someplace, or available on the Lenovo website? What is the exact name of the file?

capt1124
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 7,021
Message 2 of 7

Re: Blackberry Bluetooth connectivity for SL400

OK, I kept messing around with it, and I think I have it working. To get your Blackberry working with your ThinkPad this is what you need to do-

-Uninstall the ThinkPad Bluetooth software via Add/Remove Programs.

-Turn off the Bluetooth radio by pressing the Fn/F5 keys together.

-Go to Lenovo Support and Downloads for your model and find the software for Communications/Bluetooth.

-Download the Bluetooth Support File. It is deceptively small, as the ThinkPad Bluetooth software is 17.43 MB and the support file is 297KB, but that is what you want.

-It will save itself to C/Drivers.

-Turn the Bluetooth radio on, and you will see a message, "New hardware detected", and follow the wizard.

-Tell it you will pick the driver yourself and select it from C\Drivers\MSBwhatever.

-You will now get a Bluetooth emblem in the system tray, but when you click on it you get a completely different window, the big difference between this and the Lenovo software being this actually works.

If this was helpful to anyone, great, if not, well you get what you pay for, and it was a lot more help than you got from Lenovo or RIM.

Why tech support and Lenovo or RIM can't spend five minutes explaining this rather than five minutes explaining why they won't help you is beyond me.

I bought a ThinkPad on the strong recommendation of a friend who has owned a number of them. I have a cousin who does hardware and software support for laptops and he said get a Dell, and I wish I had listened to him. Next time I see my buddy I think I'll kick him in the shins.

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 7,011
Message 3 of 7

Each have their own strength and weaknesses, nothing is perfect. Lenovo don't provide software support to users, and RIM don't provide phone support to users, usually the carrier that sold you the phone have their own technical support team to help you resolve the issue. I think Blackberry sites state that you should consult your own telecom provider, as was the case with my Blackberry bold. 
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
SuperMod
SuperMod
Views: 6,993
Message 4 of 7

capt1124 wrote:

Why tech support and Lenovo or RIM can't spend five minutes explaining this rather than five minutes explaining why they won't help you is beyond me.

I bought a ThinkPad on the strong recommendation of a friend who has owned a number of them. I have a cousin who does hardware and software support for laptops and he said get a Dell, and I wish I had listened to him. Next time I see my buddy I think I'll kick him in the shins.

in all fairness, lenovo doesn't support the blackberry and RIM doesn't support thinkpads. Smiley Wink    the best solution is a peer-to-peer forum such as this one, supportforums.blackberry.com, or forums.crackberry.com.   believe it or not, this question has been asked quite a few times. Smiley Very Happy

connectivity with blackberry desktop manager only requires that your bluetooth radio uses the microsoft bluetooth stack and not a third-party stack like toshiba or broadcom/widcomm (reference).   since lenovo bluetooth radios already use the microsoft stack, connectivity with a thinkpad is much easier than many other systems out there.

buying a thinkpad was the right choice when it comes to bluetooth.   my 8900 connects with my X61s just fine and it has the thinkpad bluetooth software installed.   most of the other companies use third-party stacks and would require you to modify your bth.inf file to allow windows to install these devices with the microsoft stack.   i did this with a USB BT adapter on my thinkstation to connect my 8900 and a thinkpad bluetooth mouse.

anyway, it's good that you got this figured out on your own.   hopefully the additional info i've provided above will help in the future with other systems since the microsoft stack is such a key point in getting everything working together.

enjoy the SL400 and 8900.   they're both great systems.

-erik

ThinkStation P700      ThinkPad P40 · 600

capt1124
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 6,977
Message 5 of 7

At least part of the problem is they don't know their own software. I talked to two guys who insisted that no, the installed software does not give you a number to enter in the peripheral, that is something you make up yourself. As it turns out that is what the Microsoft Bluetooth software does, so for some reason they are giving me information that applies to software they tell me they don't support and not the software they are supposed to be helping me with.

I don't mind getting answers to *some* problems in a peer to peer forum but it looks to me like the *only* way to get any answers is in a forum.

cweiv4
Paper Tape
Views: 5,243
Message 6 of 7

Is this solution still working for you?  I have a BB Storm that I would like to connect to my T400 with BT for sync purposes.  Unfortunately the only other solution that I have heard of requires a Bluetooth dongle and I would rather not go that route.

Thanks for the help.

Highlighted
capt1124
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 5,238
Message 7 of 7

I have been using this for some months and it works fine. I sync Outlook with my Blackberry. As long as the Storm software is similar (and I believe it should be) it should do the trick.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors