Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CMarkey
Not applicable
Views: 536
Message 1 of 3

Cloning Hard Drive, ThinkPad R60

Dear Lenovo:

I would like to clone the aging, impacted hard drive in my ThinkPad R60 9456CTO (80 GB, 5400 RPM) to a new, larger hard drive (1TB, 7200 RPM). [full system details below]

I’ve read posts in the Lenovo forum as well as other sources but I have a couple questions to fill in gaps:

1. Before I even think about going farther, the most basic question: will the 1TB, 7200 RPM hard drive work in this computer?
    2. Regarding the Security Chip and the Predesktop Area (PDA): There is a statement in another post* to the effect that disabling the PDA is not necessary in models later than, say, R52. Can I successfully clone this R60 hard drive without disabling the PDA, or should I still disable it?. * https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T61-and-prior-T-series/Cloning-Hard-Drive-Including-The-Predes...
    3. In the event that I do need to disable the PDA: I previously made one false start on cloning. I went into the BIOS set-up to disable the Security Chip and Predesktop Area as instructed in procedures for cloning that I’ve found in various sources. But stopped when I encountered the warning below in the Options area for the Predesktop, about the PDA being “reclaimed” and “overridden” [over-written?] by OS tools. I appreciate the warning, but I would like to know what actions/ events might cause that, and how to prevent it.

Thank you very much –

CMarkey

System Details

COMPUTER: IBM / Lenovo ThinkPad R60, Type 9456CTO, S/N LV-AW630 07/01, with original hard drive, FUJITSU MHV2080BH PL (80.02 GB), 75.25 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity, 6.60 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space; Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (build 2600)

BIOS: LENOVO 7CETC6WW (2.16 ), 18-Apr-2007

PROPOSED NEW TARGET DRIVE: 1 TB, 7200 RPM, HGST Type TS7SAF100, P/N H2T10003272S, SATA 6.0Gb/S

CLONING DEVICE and SOFTWARE: Apricorn DriveWire with EZ GIG 2 CD (both ca. 2007) [might just use external hard drive case instead of DriveWire device]

Predesktop warning:

"Attention! If you select Disabled, the Predesktop Area will be visible and can be reclaimed by the OS. Once the area is overridden by OS tools, it can’t be used with Normal or Secure again and you will need to obtain a Recovery CD to retrieve original HDD. Please confirm that you wish to select Disabled. Select Yes to continue to select Disabled. Select No to discontinue the operation."

CMarkey
Not applicable
Views: 496
Message 2 of 3

Re: Cloning Hard Drive, ThinkPad R60

Rather than waiting for answers, I went ahead and tried it. Shirt answer: it worked. New 1TB 7200 HD running smoothly. Did NOT need to disable PDA. / CMarkey
CMarkey
Not applicable
Views: 494
Message 3 of 3

Re: Cloning Hard Drive, ThinkPad R60

SHORT answer, that is

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors