Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SubieForest2001
Serial Port
Views: 2,341
Message 1 of 15

Crack/tear on a ThinkPad L440

Dear Thinkpad Community

I've got something strange with my ThinkPad L440. During closing the sceen the left hinge has made a crack/tear in the plastic cover on the back, near the air intake and the charger port. Does anyone have the same problem or is it just bad luck? This is my first ThinkPad and I've read many good things about the ThinkPad but this really dissapoint me. And it's just 8 months old...

Thinkpad X220, ThinkPad L440
Hadnagy
Paper Tape
Views: 2,230
Message 2 of 15

Re: Crack/tear on a ThinkPad L440

I have the same problem, but my machine cracked next to the screw on the right side (near the ethernet connector).

This is very worrying.

SubieForest2001
Serial Port
Views: 2,224
Message 3 of 15

Luckily I'm not the only one.. I found out that it doesn't affect the ThinkPad itself (mine is still working fine), but it doesn't look that great. Don't like this build quality.. 

naganumolu
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,180
Message 4 of 15

Hi,

I am also having the same problem. I used to take good care of my laptop. Still it happened. Will this effect LCD in any way ?

It seems there is a quality issues with L440s. Is there any possibility to take the issue with Lenovo and get it replaced FOC ?

Hadnagy
Paper Tape
Views: 2,170
Message 5 of 15

I contacted the service center, they said they're goint to ask the manufatucturers' opinion about the replacement.

A few days later I get the answer, it is possible to replace the case under warranty.

Now, my Thinkpad is in the service center and I'm waiting for the result.

For advice, if you contact a service, but they says it doesn't covered by the warranty, find an another one and send pictures about the fault in e-mail. First time I snapped of with the excuse that hinge faults are not covered by the warranty. It was not possible to explain to them that there is no problem with the hinge.

So, I looked for an another one and sent pictures.

SubieForest2001
Serial Port
Views: 2,166
Message 6 of 15

Thank you very much! What do you mean with 'find another one'? And has Lenovo an email adress, I can't find it.
I called them, explained my problem and they said exactly the same, hinge faults aren't covered by the warrantly.
naganumolu
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,162
Message 7 of 15

I also got the same reply from the service team. Right now I am fighting with my dealer about ADP.

@SubieForest2001 wrote:
Thank you very much! What do you mean with 'find another one'? And has Lenovo an email adress, I can't find it.
I called them, explained my problem and they said exactly the same, hinge faults aren't covered by the warrantly.

SubieForest2001
Serial Port
Views: 2,159
Message 8 of 15

I already had a pretty big dicussion with my dealer but they said they can't do anything. It really annoys me. I'll try it again I think.
Hadnagy
Paper Tape
Views: 2,158
Message 9 of 15

I mean, look for an another service provider.

In theory Thinkpad machines have different service providers than the cheaper ones, at least in my country they have.

Be sure to send an email with the pictures of the crack, because you can invoke it later.

SubieForest2001
Serial Port
Views: 2,157
Message 10 of 15

I also used to take care of my laptop. My LCD is working fine. The service centre says 'hinge faults aren't under warrantly'...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors