Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pwm91c
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,366
Message 1 of 13

Display Port to HDMI to TV

I've purchased a Display Port to HDMI converter, however, when I connect it to my 42" Panasonic TV I'm not getting any display (screen is blank).  My laptop "r500" acts as if it's not recognizing that it is connected. 

Is there anything that I need to dowload (driver update, etc) or any settings I need to change for the Display port to work?

Thanks for your help

Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 6,355
Message 2 of 13

Re: Display Port to HDMI to TV

pwm91c, welcome to the forum,

it would be helpful if you could post which R500 and Operating System you have, even better post the Type and Model Number this will help members to help you. If it ends in CTO please provide some details about your R500. Please do NOT post your s/n.

Thanks

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

pwm91c
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,352
Message 3 of 13

Thanks Andy,

laptop info:

Product: ThinkPad R500 2716-3KU

Operating system: Windows XP

I called Lenovo customer support, the gentleman told me my graphics card (Mobil Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family) would not support HDMI, thus the reason for not working.

I'm assuming my only options at this point (unless somebody could tell me something different) would be either this:

http://www.buy.com/prod/startech-com-usb-dvi-vga-external-multi-monitor-video-adapter-16mb/q/loc/111...

I'm curious to how good the video resolution would be with this adapter on a 42" HD monitor.

Or this:

http://www.brilliantstore.com/computer_monitor_accessories_dekcell_cpa_1277.html

Retired Guru
Views: 6,341
Message 4 of 13

@pwm91c wrote:

I called Lenovo customer support, the gentleman told me my graphics card (Mobil Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family) would not support HDMI, thus the reason for not working.

That's just wrong: I'm using T500 with identical graphics card right now connected to DVI-D monitor (electrically identical to HDMI) through DisplayPort - DVI cable.

Now, in the past Lenovo has made the unfortunate choice of omitting the necessary internal wiring in certain R series (15.4" R61... grrrr!). But that's not the case here: I just checked tabook (click ThinkPad Notebooks on Lenovo PSREF page) and the specifications for your machine state:

Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD (GMA 4500MHD), in GM45,
graphics digital monitor support via DisplayPort (supports single-link DVI-D via cable 45J7915); Maximum external resolution: 2048x1536@75Hz

It's possible there's something wrong with your DisplayPort - HDMI adapter; ideally you could check it with some other computer. Even more ideally (is that possible? :-)) you could verify that both your cable and your TV work with that other computer. That would irrefutably establish that the fault lies with your R500.

---------

Results of Your Ideal Business-Class Laptop survey, concluded 2009-07-29.

Did someone help you?
Say thanks! with a kudo.
Even better: Pay it forward, help someone else. Smiley Happy
pwm91c
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,337
Message 5 of 13

I'm guessing I bought the wrong cable then, I will purchase this one

http://www.macmall.com/macmall/shop/detail.asp?Redir=1&description=Lenovo-DisplayPort+to+Single-Link...

Which is what it lists that it is compatible with per the tabook that you linked to.  

If I buy a DVI to HDMI converter then I would hope it would work okay?

Thanks for your help

Retired Guru
Views: 6,332
Message 6 of 13

Really you shouldn't need 2 converters. As far as I know, the DVI-D and HDMI video signals are exactly the same, they just use different pins and different connector. So I'd be surprised if using that pair of converters would have a different result than your existing DisplayPort -> HDMI cable. Do you have any way to test the HDMI input of your TV, anything else that would plug into it?
---------

Did someone help you?
Say thanks! with a kudo.
pwm91c
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,326
Message 7 of 13

That is what I was thinking as well...

both the HDMI inputs work on the TV, I have been using one for my cable box, the other for my dvd player.

However, when I plug in the laptop, nothing is happening.  I figured the laptop would automatically recognize that the TV was plugged in, but nothing.  I didn't try going through Presentation Director or using the "fn f7" toggle, maybe I need to give that a try.

However, when I take the laptop to work and plug into a 22" LCD monitor via the VGA input, the connection automatically appears within Graphic Options > Output... (this does not happen while connecting to the TV via the Display Port (via HDMI converter)).

Retired Guru
Views: 6,321
Message 8 of 13

I wonder if the 22" LCD monitor at work has a DVI-D input as well as VGA? If so, then it could make sense to get an HDMI-> DVI-D adapter, so: R500 -> DisplayPort - HDMI cable -> HDMI - DVI-D adapter -> 22" LCD DVI-D input. If that works, then you know your DisplayPort - HDMI cable is good, and that your R500 can do digital video out. Then your problem connecting to your TV at home is probably due to a strange video mode. ...and we'd be into BIOS and/or XP video driver issues.

But you're right, give Fn-F7 a try first :-)

Maybe I'm making this more complicated than it really is.

---------

Did someone help you?
Say thanks! with a kudo.
pwm91c
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,318
Message 9 of 13

Yes, the 22" LCD does have the DVI input, I will do what you suggested and see what happens.

Thanks for your help.

pwm91c
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,295
Message 10 of 13

Ok, so I got this to work last night, not sure how I did it. I did update the Presentation Director, and a few other things. 

I turned the laptop off, plugged in the display port to HDMI converter and then powered the laptop back on and it all worked perfectly.  

I have no idea what was wrong or how I fixed, but it works now.

That said, if anybody from Lenovo reads this, my  Case # when I called in was 12r9b3k.  The man on the phone told me HDMI compatibility was not possible and obviously he was wrong, or did not want to take the time to figure out why it wasn't working.  

Thanks

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors